Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules
First step would be to use the name of the pilot, his rank etc. There are many online sources that might give you valuable information, just based on a name (not necessarily knowing the unit or the plane's serial). I'm using Fold3 for that matter.Where would you start a search to find out the plane # and markings on a plane. I am building a model of my son-in-laws' father's Skyraider. He was a pilot on in Navy. He flew bombing missions during the Korean War from an aircraft carrier.
Thanks for helping.
Thanks again. I have forwarded your ideas to son-in-law.Where would you start a search to find out the plane # and markings on a plane. I am building a model of my son-in-laws' father's Skyraider. He was a pilot on in Navy. He flew bombing missions during the Korean War from an aircraft carrier.
Thanks for helping.
Thanks for helping. I have ordered the book you recommended. Also forwarded info to son-in-law.First step would be to use the name of the pilot, his rank etc. There are many online sources that might give you valuable information, just based on a name (not necessarily knowing the unit or the plane's serial). I'm using Fold3 for that matter.
Secondly, check this book (cover may vary):
View attachment 540088
Many good ideas about camouflage, markings, ordnance etc. Relatively cheap (compared to some other similar sources) from Amazon.com.
My favourite pages in books like the above one are the appendices, tables, colour profiles etc. Below are all USNavy Skyraider deployments during the Korean war. One can easily find the carrier, the unit and even the tail codes, based on the timeframe:
View attachment 540089
View attachment 540090
Thanks for helping. I have forwarded your info to son-in-law.For starters, it would be good to know which squadron(s) he served in. Failing that, if there are dates when he was known to be aboard an identified carrier, we should be able to work out which squadron he was in. That info will at least provide basic colour scheme info and unit markings.
Once you have those details, the next step is to try and identify a particular airframe that he flew. If any of his logbooks survived, then you should be able to find an aircraft number which might help you locate a photo of the actual aircraft.
thanks for the links. They are great. I will pass them to son-in-law. These links and the book will be help to authenticate the models. Been thinking of possibly making an aircraft carrier diorama to display the Skyraider plane. Might need to section it off to save room??These guys may be able to help...Main A-1 Skyraider Association Site Index
Skyraider Squadrons
Skyraider Serial Numbers