Which is the best Spitfire mark?

Which Spitfire mark is the best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Resp:
Makes perfect sense. I believe I read somewhere that Douglas Bader preferred the 'a' wing Spitfire because he got better shot placement and plenty of rounds on target. I am not sure if it was a MkV or IX.
What you believe you read and what was actually written are a subject for discussion. Now about these raids that "Hap Arnold" told the British they should have performed but didn't? When was this? Which of the bases which intercepted the Schweinfurt raid should the British have attacked? Or does "Resp:" mean "I made it up".

What you believe you read and what was actually written are a subject for discussion. Now about these raids that "Hap Arnold" told the British they should have performed but didn't? When was this? Which of the bases which intercepted the Schweinfurt raid should the British have attacked? Or does "Resp:" mean "I made it up".
Resp:
I gave you my sources. You want to argue my points. I didn't dream them up. You need to go to the source(s) and take it up (argue) with them. Asking me more questions, isn't going to help solve anything.

Most likely a Mk II.

Not many V went without cannon. I doubt that any IXs went into service without cannons.
Resp:
Roger. It was fairly early in the war. The info I read stated that stated that Bader (spelling ?) was flying one of the oldest Spitfires in the Squ at the time of his collision/shoot down.

Resp:
I gave you my sources. You want to argue my points. I didn't dream them up. You need to go to the source(s) and take it up (argue) with them. Asking me more questions, isn't going to help solve anything.
You mean you made it up. You also claim to have read all those sources then come on here asking questions about a Spitfires range, why not consult your sources.

Resp:
Roger. It was fairly early in the war. The info I read stated that stated that Bader (spelling ?) was flying one of the oldest Spitfires in the Squ at the time of his collision/shoot down.
Resp:
The info I am seeing dictates his last aircraft was W3185, and that it was a MkVa. Regardless, he did prefer the 'a' wings w MG over cannons.

Hi, I've voted for the Mk XII as nobody has voted for this one.

For me, it's the best looking Griffon, excellent performance for the time and when was really needed.

I'd choose Mk VIII as best Merlin Spit, the most elegant

Hi, I've voted for the Mk XII as nobody has voted for this one.

For me, it's the best looking Griffon, excellent performance for the time and when was really needed.

I'd choose Mk VIII as best Merlin Spit, the most elegant
Resp:
I'm guessing, but I suspect the Mk XII had better performance than the Merlin models. Did the Mk XII have greater range over the Mk IX or VIII?

Resp:
I'm guessing, but I suspect the Mk XII had better performance than the Merlin models. Did the Mk XII have greater range over the Mk IX or VIII?

The XII had excellent low down performance, but not very good high altitude performance.

I doubt that the XII had greater range than the VIII, and probably not better than the IX either.

The Griffon was a thirsty engine, and the XII did not get much more fuel than the IX - I'd have to confirm this later.

The VIII had the extra tanks in the inner wing leading edges, which gave it greater range than the IX (maybe later IXs got these as well?). The XIV had them (based on VIII airframe), but the XII did not (based on V airframe, as was the IX).

The XII had excellent low down performance, but not very good high altitude performance.

I doubt that the XII had greater range than the VIII, and probably not better than the IX either.

The Griffon was a thirsty engine, and the XII did not get much more fuel than the IX - I'd have to confirm this later.

The VIII had the extra tanks in the inner wing leading edges, which gave it greater range than the IX (maybe later IXs got these as well?). The XIV had them (based on VIII airframe), but the XII did not (based on V airframe, as was the IX).
Resp:
Thanks for the info. That explains one reason why Supermarine continued to built Merlin Spitfire's. It seems like Britain built as many low/mid level altitude fighter (Tempests, Typhoons, Spitfires) as the US did with it Allison engine.

Production was the reason Merlin Spitfires continued, not range.

The Merlin was being built in several factories in the UK plus a couple in the US (the factory built for the Continental IV-1430 was eventually put towards Merlin production, but not many were built there). In contrast, the Griffon seems to have only been built at Derby and Crewe, Rolls-Royce factories.

Plus there was additional fuselage strengthening required for the XII, XIV, etc. This would have required some sacrifice of production to change over, as well as the new cowlings required.

The fuel capacities of the IX, XII and VIII were as follows:
IX: 85UKG
XII: 85UKG
VIII: 124UKG

In addition to extra tanks in the wing, the VIII had a larger upper tank.

Production was the reason Merlin Spitfires continued, not range.

The Merlin was being built in several factories in the UK plus a couple in the US (the factory built for the Continental IV-1430 was eventually put towards Merlin production, but not many were built there). In contrast, the Griffon seems to have only been built at Derby and Crewe, Rolls-Royce factories.

Plus there was additional fuselage strengthening required for the XII, XIV, etc. This would have required some sacrifice of production to change over, as well as the new cowlings required.

The fuel capacities of the IX, XII and VIII were as follows:
IX: 85UKG
XII: 85UKG
VIII: 124UKG

In addition to extra tanks in the wing, the VIII had a larger upper tank.
Resp:
I guess I am confused. I would have thought that since the Merlin operated better at higher altitudes, the British would have focused production more on the Merlin. After all, the need for higher operational altitudes were required in the ETO. Hence, the Merlin Mustang.

Resp:
I guess I am confused. I would have thought that since the Merlin operated better at higher altitudes, the British would have focused production more on the Merlin. After all, the need for higher operational altitudes were required in the ETO. Hence, the Merlin Mustang.
The Merlin didn't perform better at higher altitude than the Griffon with 2 stage supercharger (65 series) fitted to the MkXIV. You are working from a conclusion backwards. There were few single stage Griffon engines made (approx. 100), only 2 squadrons used them. The Mk XIV Spitfire was used mainly for armed and PR recon approx. half were fitted with cameras. The number of Merlin Spitfire Mk IXs given to Russia was approximately the same as the number of Griffon Spitfires produced. After D-Day there was a land front, much if not most activity was closer to the ground.

The Merlin didn't perform better at higher altitude than the Griffon with 2 stage supercharger (65 series) fitted to the MkXIV. You are working from a conclusion backwards. There were few single stage Griffon engines made (approx. 100), only 2 squadrons used them. The Mk XIV Spitfire was used mainly for armed and PR recon approx. half were fitted with cameras. The number of Merlin Spitfire Mk IXs given to Russia was approximately the same as the number of Griffon Spitfires produced. After D-Day there was a land front, much if not most activity was closer to the ground.

Resp:
Not to be smart, but I thought that that is what looking at history meant, looking backwards. When did the Mk XIV enter service (1st operational Squadron)?

Resp:
Not to be smart, but I thought that that is what looking at history meant, looking backwards. When did the Mk XIV enter service (1st operational Squadron)?
I mean you draw a conclusion and work back to find evidence for that conclusion. The Spitfire Mk XIV first major use was against V1s on diver patrols starting June 1944. The altitude performance of the P-51 is a separate issue, it requires formations of 4 engine heavy bombers as part of the strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back