Which is your favorite kit for a P-38 in 1:48 scale?

Which P-38 in 1:48 is your favorite to build?

• Hobby Boss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minicraft

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've built Monogram, Hasegawa and Academy (not Academy/Minicraft, which is an earlier kit), and found the Academy to be the best overall. There are a couple of minor points, such as the turbo 'scoops' on the booms just locating onto a scribed line, no locating pins, and the mirrors on the cowlings being convex, but overall it's a nice kit, with adequate cockpit detail, and goes together well.
It also includes the photo-recce noses, in two styles.
Not a very good pic, but here's my still unfinished model, built around 9 years ago.
EDIT:- Forgot to add - the 'scoops' are the ones on the booms below the wings, not the rad housings.

models 10 -08 012.jpg

I'm only part way through an Academy early P-38 and it's the only one I've tried. I had a fair amount of filling to do and the rad intakes are a but annoying in that they left a big hole in the boom that you can look right inside.

Robert,

So far I've not built any P-38 kits. I've always wanted to build one but was slightly put off by what I read regarding both inaccuracies in some kits and just poor fit in others. Now I've come to a stage where I feel I don't mind being a little challenged but I still want the best option I can find for both of the shortcomings I've mentioned. I therefore, after searching for a while, bought the Eduard Pacific Lightnings Limited Edition kit. It's now toward the top of the que in my stash of 34 unbuilt kits. Here's the review that pushed me over the edge:

Eduard Kit No.1175 – Pacific Lightnings Limited Edition Review by Brad Fallen

I hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks guys! I have decided and ordered an Academy kit, which according to Scalemates is the same kit you were referring to Mike, Eduard had reboxed the Academy kit with a bunch of their "extras" for detailing. I also ordered the resin engine air intake replacements, the Turbo/Supercharger resin replacements along with their airscoops, and the cockpit resin replacement from Aires all for that kit. Now I just need to decide on a subject and possibly order some new decals for that subject. From the reviews I have read every kit out there has some degree of fit and finish issues. Especially boom alignment etc. Just due to the nature of the plane design.

I was totally unimpressed with the cockpit of the Revell/Monogram kit which is why I decided to buy the resin replacement even though the Academy cockpit is much better. no less than 5 reviews I read said the Aires cockpit was really nicely done. One reviewer even shoe horned it into the Monogram kit with some serious surgery!

A bit late to chime in but I've built about 4 P-38s (don't remember the kit makers but My latest was the Revell P-38J kit. I liked it because it could be made into 3 different P-38 types, two of which I did not have, the Droop Snoot bomber version and my initial pick the two seater Night Fighter version.
p-38-nightfighter.jpg

Academy, closely followed by the Hasegawa.

Both have minor issues, but the Academy is probably slightly easier to build (and can be had for one-half, even one-third the price of the Hasegawa). I have another two Academy P-38F's (the Glacier Girl boxing) in the stash, in order to make two of the F-4-1-LO's operated by the RAAF (1PRU/75SQN), once the "Ronin" PR-nose conversions arrives (I know Red Roo do one, but the Ronin one is shaping up to be superior).

Plans are to do one as A55-1 in it's RAAF Scheme, and the other as one of the 'loaner' a/c, 41-2220, in the 'Haze' Scheme:

jfranzi.jpg

Dan

I was looking at the Glacier Girl packaging, I might get another one just to do a different version. Mike was correct in the Revell kit comes with parts for 3 different birds. But the aftermarket stuff for the Revell/Monogram kits is getting harder to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back