Which Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

xsier

Recruit
Jan 6, 2006
Hope someone can help. I have an image of a spitfire which my book describes as a MK V. I'm searching google images for high quality photographs of a MK 5 but they seem different to my imagine. In particular the filler area for the tank. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

Attachments

• spitfiresidecol_199.jpg
    spitfiresidecol_199.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 376
I'm talking about the area i've marked. That is an image from my book. I'm also about to start modeling this so i'm looking for some reference pics. When i search for MK V at google images, that area looks different.

Thanks.

Attachments

• spitfiresidecolb_501.jpg
    spitfiresidecolb_501.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 324
  • spit_v_bm597_park2_duxford_00_652.jpg
    spit_v_bm597_park2_duxford_00_652.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 325
The deeper "chin" is caused by the Volks air filter, fitted to aircraft destined for service in North Africa. It was there to keep the sand out of the engine.

Great, thanks for the info and all the ref pics. That also helps me decide the color scheme.

well they weren't just used in the desert, some of the Mk.Vs with the filter were used in the CBI too, in a very nice green uppers, gery unders and a white tail............

Yep. Some of theme served till the end of the II world war, but many were replaced by mk VIII (correct me if i'm wrong) :)

the lancaster kicks ass said:
well they weren't just used in the desert, some of the Mk.Vs with the filter were used in the CBI too, in a very nice green uppers, gery unders and a white tail............
Those were aircraft that had either been used, or had been intended for use in the desert. That's why they had the Volks filters installed. It was a sand filter. Many of those planes had been rushed to the Pacific/CBI from North Africa. In most if not all cases, the filter was removed but the aircraft retained the big lower cowling.

Those volks filter really hampered the Spitfire's performance it was barely faster than the Mk2 Hurricanes it was also the slowest of all Spitfire varients 340mph I think...

Didn't Supermarine make a more stream lined sand filter?

helmitsmit said:
Those volks filter really hampered the Spitfire's performance it was barely faster than the Mk2 Hurricanes it was also the slowest of all Spitfire varients 340mph I think...

Didn't Supermarine make a more stream lined sand filter?

RAF testing of the Volkes Tropical Filter on a Spitfire VB showed that it made about 355 mph at full throttle height. So it cut off about 15-20 mph off top speed. The 337 mph figure usually given for aircraft fitteed with the Volkes filter is for a Mk V with a 90 gallon D/T.

Supermarine didn't make a more streamlined fliter, but the No 103 Maintence Unit based at Aboukir did. The 'Aboukir Filter' wasn't quite as effective as the larger Volkes unit in filtering out sand and dust particles, but it was much better than the standard Spitfire filter, and offered substantially less drag penalty than the Volkes unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back