Who does know the aviator?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smokey Stover

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Warwickshire
Ok, so i need a little help with the origins of this pic if anyone is kind enough to give their knowledge or opinion that would be great. Im not just being lazy, my current PC is currently experiencing pms and i cant do a simple image search. However, i get sent quite a lot of war images that need researching and when i did first try to uncover the photo's background i was perplexed by the amount of conflicting info. It has been suggested the person in the pic is German ace Eric Hartmann, but this is simply not true. The guy in this pic is not bubbie.
I found a lot of info suggesting the guy in the pic was a panzer crewman, but again i find this claim extremely odd. For one, that's a Bf 109 parked behind him and two, he is wearing a pilot suit and the Luftwaffe adler (Eagle) emblem is clearly visible. So my guess is this a German airforce pilot. But who he is and what unit he was attached to is hard work out just from studying the pic. But alas, i'll hand it over to you guys and your historical knowledge.
Thanks..
d6b72f14c946aa0633060be1b55102b7 (1).jpg

The caption of the posted by me pic says "German pilot of the Luftwaffe surrendering, as a lot of other pilots, to the British forces on May 12, 1945 in Copenhagen, Denmark."

Regarding your one I found this... " Luftwaffe Leutnant mit sein Schäferhund (Bf.109E-4) - could be JG 26 "Schlageter". 1940"

The caption of the posted by me pic says "German pilot of the Luftwaffe surrendering, as a lot of other pilots, to the British forces on May 12, 1945 in Copenhagen, Denmark."

Regarding your one I found this... " Luftwaffe Leutnant mit sein Schäferhund (Bf.109E-4) - could be JG 26 "Schlageter". 1940"
Thanks for that my friend. Im just at a loss as to why i couldnt fnd out his name. I've found more info about the dog in the pic than the pilot himself. Some sources quote the dog as being Germany's only flying combat dog. And that the guy in the pic was a gunner, but doesnt mention on which aircraft. Im a little dubious though about the flying dog and think maybe someone in propaganda got carried away with the mascot...

I don't think it's the same guy as in Wojtek's pic. Different ear lobes and the coincidence would be huge.

The pilot in the pic is a Major and the pic might have been taken during the BoB judging by the yellow or white nose on the 109 and the clean unmottled 65 on the fuselage sides.

Thanks for that my friend. Im just at a loss as to why i couldnt fnd out his name. I've found more info about the dog in the pic than the pilot himself. Some sources quote the dog as being Germany's only flying combat dog. And that the guy in the pic was a gunner, but doesnt mention on which aircraft. Im a little dubious though about the flying dog and think maybe someone in propaganda got carried away with the mascot...

I see. As far as the plane behind him is concerned.. that's a 109E for sure. I would say that is the E-3 at least. The E-4 is very likely too. However the plane can't be the E-1 because we can see the barrel protruding from the wing leading edge and also the blister at the undersides what indicates the MG FF cannon. The plane had the high demarcation line of camo colours at the fuselage sides what can be noticed at the part behind the cockpit frame seen partially above the wing leading edge. Also the engine cowling is ligh what indicates either the yellow colour or the RLM 65. I would say that's the RLM 65 because I have seen in many pic of the Bf 109E just painted in the way ( eg. von Werra's one ). This suggests the 1940 and France or the BoB at early period.

I assumed white or yellow cowl because of the difference in shade seen with the 65 just above the back of the exhausts but either way it would likely be in early to mid 1940.

I see Andy. But I would compare the cowl colour to the one seen on the wing leading edge than the one behing the exhaust pipes. The fuselage there got the darker tone there because of the stains from the exhaust and vent appertures. Also the white colour looks much lighter in B&W images than the RLM 65 while the yellow seems to be more "inspid" in the tone and a little bit darker. Unless a pic was taken with the yellow filter then the yellow looks like the white.. Here two shots of Emils. Please note how clean is the engine cowling comparing to the back area of the fuselage. The whtie spinner of the first one gives the idea of the yellow-white difference. The second image is a good source for comparing the cowl tone to the wing leading edge.

Bf-109E4-7.JG54-White-3-Holland-1940-01.jpg

Bf 109E-3 JG30CambraiJG3II.jpg

Yes.. it would be better to see more details of the kite. But we can limit the choice to the two sub-types I mean the E-3 and E-4. None of the late Bf 109E was painted in the way. Also it should be remebered that the E-4 cockpit hood was fitted to the E-3s s well IIRC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back