Who were the ww2 aerial combat tactic innovators ? (forget outright kills) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's a nice way of saying the RAF didn't make a purpose built CAS aircraft. So other aircraft such as the Mosquito high altitude light bomber and Hurricane fighter got stuck performing those missions.

Errr...don't understand the point you're trying to make. CAS is not strike/attack.

And who says that Garros by being the first airman during the war to use a non-pusher airplane as a forward platform gun shooting through the prop disc makes him a myth?

I'm well aware of several attempts to synchronize machine gun and propeller prior to the war, yet it was Garros the first airman to try it operationally during combat achieving favorable results; then came Fokker and the rest is history.

Was he or did he use a good old fafhioned armoured propeller?

Steve

There's nothing good about an armored propeller. By 1914 it was a step backward from using the synchronization gear which had been patented during 1910.

Even now with all the easy access to information online, inventors still hire attorneys to do a patent search, to find out if they're re-inventing something already patented.

Just because something was patented has no bearing on how many people was aware of the invention.

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "armored" propeller. Garros strapped armored wedges to the back of the propeller blades.

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "armored" propeller. Garros strapped armored wedges to the back of the propeller blades.

Exactly,how's that not an armoured propeller?
Anything with armour attached or bolted on becomes,by definition,armoured,from a knight to a car to a propeller! At least in the version of English I learnt.

That is also what I understand Garros to have done. This is not my field and I'll gladly be corrected.

Cheers
Steve

When you say armored propeller, i'm thinking the whole propeller is armored.
Just wearing a steel breastplate doesn't make you a armored knight, does it? I guess to a degree, it does. Even a tank isn't 100% armored.

OK Steve, sorry, you're right.

Jimmy Thach not only developed the Beam Defense Maneuver (Thach Weave) but he worked with the VT pilots to help them with tactics to evade being shot down when exiting the battlefield. He also was one of the early advocates of more VFs for the carriers to keep them from being sunk.

KG100 worked out procedures for employment of MCLOS guided air to surface weapons (Hs293 and Fritz X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back