Why did the FW-190A Series Not Perform Well at High Altitude While the Dora Did? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

contrails16

Airman
Jul 13, 2020
Massachusetts, USA, Earth
Hi there! I am just asking this question because my memory is a little foggy. Didn't the A series not perform well above 6000 meters because the Kommandogerat system couldn't function well at high altitude? Did the Jumo 213 in the Dora have an improved Kommandogerat system or was its horsepower advantage what allowed it to perform better at high altitude? Thanks :)

D9 have had less drag (Cd0 lower by 10% vs. the draggy 190A8), a bit more power above 5 km, and a better ram air intake. All of this combined made the D9 faster, not just on higher altitudes.
The D9 was also faster than 190A9 that have had more power, even at higher altitudes.

Last edited:
The Junker-Jumo 213E engine had a two-stage supercharger & methanol-water boost. Designed for high altitude service. This engine was used in the Fw190D and Ta152.

D9 have had less drag (Cd0 lower by 10% vs. the draggy 190A8), a bit more power above 5 km, and a better ram air intake. All of this combined made the D9 faster, not just on higher altitudes.
The D9 was also faster than 190A9 that have had more power, even at higher altitudes.
Did it still have a Kommandogerat system?

The Fw190D/Ta152 had a similar all-in-on control unit with the Motorbediengerät (MBG), developed by Junkers for their 213 engine.
I believe there was no such device for the 211

Decent video on the Ta152H, but it touches on the D as well, and it will give you an overview of altitude-performance changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back