Why no pilot?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Must admit, I rarely have a pilot figure in the cockpit, unless part of a diorama scene, but I often have figures around the aircraft. Very few of these start out as 'pilot' figures, being mainly very simple conversions from other suitable figures. In the pic here, all of the figures shown are converted from 1/48th scale Tamiya Panzer servicing crew or Infantry figures. Eyes are done with a pencil, lips painted, and flesh tones 'damp brushed'.

Attachments

• Bombers Build 217.jpg
    Bombers Build 217.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 72
Some thing i find odd is that in model railroading we had all these great Figures in 1/87 HO scale they realy looked great, so i allways asked why are there no good figures made in 1/48. Then i saw the O scale train stuff. it is 1/48 scale. and some of them are very good looking, and can be made to fit in with air crew or even as pilots. I also have been going through all my kits finding some good pilots and casting them in resin so i can have extra pilots.

Ahm, from my point of view planes spend 98% of its time (correct me if I'm wrong) without pilot so why put it in cockpit(?)

Sometimes I build an old kit which is seriously lacking in detail. Solution? Stick in a pilot to hide the cockpit,get the wheels up,shove an acrylic rod up its a**e and pose it in flight. I did this recently with Revell's 1/32 Spitfire Mk22/24. The pilot figure is probably the best thing in the kit anyway. Sorting the cockpit and wheel wells would have cost three times as much as the kit!
I like the look of some aircraft in flight and the Spitfire is one of them. It's one of the few aircraft I build which doesn't have a swastika on the fin.

24crop.gif

If you are thinking of building one of these make sure that you've got plenty of filler!
Cheers
Steve

Reminds me of a time when most airplane kits came with a stand for posing them "in flight". That's a pretty neat idea Stona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back