Why Sims need an upgrade (little bit ranty)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Binjo

Airman
Jan 18, 2009
Eugene OR
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, but we really need some updated sims. I've heard about SoW, but I'm a little worried that the game has been in development for so long that the shiny bits may already be outdated.

I really appreciate the need for physics first, it's hard to have a decent flying game if the flying part sucks. What I'd like to see though is a little more attention paid to the stuff we fly OVER. Sure it looks okay from orbit, but flying down in the mud like I prefer leaves much to be desired. Thus far we've been stuck with relatively bland green or brown blotchy fields with some low-res buildings scattered throughout.

Just look at a screenie from Ubi's latest arcade flyer, HAWX...proof that the technology is there, we just need to slap some decent physics on that game engine and have ourselves a party!

That said, I still love IL-2 despite its flaws, just think that its time for a facelift.

Attachments

• HAWX.jpg
    HAWX.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 143
more detail, less bugs, better graphics and some action thats all i need for now. if they would upgrade older sims that would be fine too (with some extra's ^^)

Ahh it's nice to see individual trees, can't say I've ever been a fan of Oleg's forestry...nothing sucks worse than hugging the ground and plowing into an invisible layer of foliage

Well, it's a good topic, even if it's been discussed before.

With the way technology keeps re-inventing itself almost on a daily basis, it's nearly impossible to put something out that'll be compatable with everybody's equipment.

But I think that a game should have the best of the sim legends in it's core before they go and try and re-invent the wheel.

Just a small example:
Jane's WW2 Fighters - the hotseat and an ingame respawn option, waypoint event switches (mission builder), split braking!
CFS2/CFS3 - interactive cockpit, unbiased flight models, damage modelling, split braking!
IL2 - game engine, video rendering, broad range of user defined aircraft controls, video recording (track).

Then build on it from there...

Exactly what I was thinking Geist, build on the predecessors...why spend years in development if you already have the core stuff programmed for you already?

One thing I'd like to see is dynamic damage. From my limited understanding, procedural programming could possibly allow for realistic looking damage that isn't just a series of preset damage skins. Seeing the same old holes in my bird can get old after awhile, ya know?

Oh! How about including multiple eras in one sim? I seem to remember an interesting dogfight between Geist and myself in CFS2 or 3 pitting his 262 against my A-10, can't remember who came out on top though (probably him). At the very least include post-war and Korean era planes, I can only think of one sim that's even attempted that era...it wasn't that great.

LOL...yeah, cross-era encounters can be....ahhh...interesting, huh?

I seem to recall a persistant P-38 and P-51H trying to attack my Hind-D numerous times with *interesting* results, too...

I think my favorite time was when everyone was hurling themselves (He100, P-51H, P-38, etc) at my Fokker D.VII :lol:

As far as the damage modelling goes, I agree about IL-2's predictable damage. I think the winner in this category would have to go to CFS3. They have a real defined hitbox on the FM that advances based on hit quantity and hit type (bullets, cannon shells, rockets, flak, etc). It then "rolls the dice" as to what damage is displayed until the value increases to produce catastrophic failure.

Here's some shots of damage from CFS3 that shows the damage detail:

Attachments

• Do335_holes.jpg
    Do335_holes.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Ho229V5_bailing.jpg
    Ho229V5_bailing.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Me410_downbyone.jpg
    Me410_downbyone.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 135
I hadn't forgotten about that Hind, my ego just wouldn't let me bring up the subject...that was a bad, bad day. Would be interesting to see what would happen now that I'm a much better stick. Probably wouldn't change much...pivot, kill, pivot, kill, laugh maniacally, land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back