Wildcat during the Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is tedious, get back to your Martlets. A declaration of war is a statement that compromise is now off the table.

Someone posted here the lengths the Soviets went to to make the P-39 work for them, like installing drains etc. Maybe that also included studying how it flew and how to fly it.

By my personal point of view, much simpler than that.
First, even if P-39 was not the best of an airplane, it was better than theirs, for various reasons, and it was "for free";
Second, and more important, Soviets were accustomed to losses, both in training and in combat, enormously more heavy than those that U.S. Generals and RAF Air Marshals, subjected to a strict public opinion, unexistant in USSR, were willing to bear.

Yes it is very tedious, bored of this now going back to my war movies and commando comics to learn more about WW2 history, Johnny Red was a real RAF pilot right ?
The nightmare of the German military was a war on two fronts. An evil genius would be one who only fought on one front at a time, Adolf managed to be fighting on at least half a dozen in the space of 18 months, including one he was hardly aware of "intelligence" but that is not really a surprise.

In terms of the OP the Wildcat could have been used for the BoB if the British were short of planes and not pilots, it was certainly capable of taking down any German bomber in 1940. They started to arrive in the summer and were in service by the end of the year, the first of about 8,000 to be built, the P-40 would be arriving soon 14,000 were built, and they both had bigger brothers and cousins on the drawing board. The "gig was up" as soon as that Martlet made its first kill, Goering just didnt realise it.

Last edited:

Probably for this very reason they loved P-39 so much...

Must be a terrible burden being the cleverest person you have ever known.
I see you never met anyone clever enough to tell you that everyone else knows you have lost the debate when all you do is post fact-free snarks. But do go ahead and keep on showing the limits of your research, it does provide unintended amusement.

All of which is completely debunked by the results the Russians managed with their P-39s. Face it, Pokryshkin was choosing the P-39 over every Allied fighter available, and that includes Spitfires and the much-hyped Yaks. And we know that's not just Russian propaganda because the Luftwaffe were reporting on him as well.

All of which is completely debunked by the results the Russians managed with their P-39s.
I think it's been pretty well established here that the Russians custom modified their P39s to ameliorate many of their shortcomings, which western services, for whatever reason, seemed unwilling or unable to do effectively. Apples to applanges.

Oh look, another Martlet!

View attachment 597448

Did I miss a new forum rule that every thread MUST have a discussion about P-39s, the Russians liking them and removing wing guns, and the type's CofG issues?

There's an XP-39 thread and P-39D/P-400 thread and yet here we are in a supposedly Wildcat-centric thread talking about P-39s.

Maybe the Forum should change its title to "P-39s-and-other-ww2aircraft.net"?

I understand that threads tend to drift (and I am guilty of this, too), but damn.

Hence me posting Terry's favorite warbird just to remind SOME people that this is a thread regarding the Grumman G-36A/Martlet/F4F during the Battle of Britain.

Oh...wait, there's another Martlet!

Had Pokryshkin the skill in deflection shooting of Marseille and Beurling? (melted together, if possible). Soviet aviation fighter tactics could have been considered by Allied standards just a little bit less than "suicidal".
Pokryshkin could also have choosen P-39, but the question is: "...how many Pokryshkin's wingmen got killed?"
If Hartmann & Co. had aerial victories by the hundreds was not by chance, and certainly USAAF and RAF High Commands (and Aircrews, of course...) were not at all willing to bear such losses.

Users who are viewing this thread