Wildcat during the Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While the Vmax speeds show the F4F-4 as 17mph slower at a lighter weight than the F4F-3, the difference in climb rates is far more dramatic:

Time to 20K ft:

F4F-3 at 7432lb = 8.4min

F4F-4 at 7370lb = 11min

F4F-4 at 7426lb = 12.7min ( from the The Oct 1942 Spec for the F4F-4)

Last edited:
While the Vmax speeds show the F4F-4 as 17mph slower at a lighter weight than the F4F-3, the difference in climb rates is far more dramatic:

Time to 20K ft:

F4F-3 at 7432lb = 8.4min

F4F-4 at 7370lb = 11min
I have noticed the same thing on the wwiiaircraft performance website. I hadn't noticed the climb rate but I noticed the top speed difference. Would the folding wing have an aerodynamic drag issue with it? Seems like I read somewhere that in a dive the seam in the folding wing would spread out some. I'm really grasping at straws here. We have both provided evidence proving our own theories. I think we might want to start a thread on F4F-3 vs F4F-4 performance differences at XYZ weights. Maybe some other members have some theories

I understand and I agree with you on hitting power. I've always been a fan of the 50 IF the aircraft has the performance to carry them. Limiting ammo to only 200 rounds per gun would save 1000 rounds total which is 250 pounds. (Load out for the F4F-3 was 450 per gun)
200 rounds would give 8-10 seconds of firing time, say 2-3 bursts. Guys that haven't had a lot of air to air gunnery training would probably be better off with 8 303's and a lot of ammo. Well trained pilots would likely do well with either setup.

It's possible that there might be minor drag increases in the F4F-4, but these should have little to no effect on climb because the lower speed in a climb minimizes increases in drag. I suspect that there were instrumentation problems with the F4F-3 performance tests and some transcription errors that have been repeated over time. Consequently, F4F-3 performance has been overestimated and overstated.

The fact that USN pilots were able to fight the Zero to a draw, in the F4F-3 and -4 is a great credit to them.

Checking the references for First Team, I found that the stated 800lb weight difference between an F4F-3 and -4 came from a Pilot's memoirs. I suspect that at Coral Sea, pilots simply didn't note huge differences in performance between the Zero and -3, but that over time their opinions would have changed. However by the time that the USN encountered the Zero again, they had transitioned to the -4 and thus blamed the -4 for something that was always present.

Last edited:

Well, from http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4f/f4f-4-4058.pdf it looks like the "Normal Fighter" compliment was 200 rounds:

Here is another problem. An FM2 doing 327 mph on 1,000 hp at 19,500 feet. Virtually the same as original F4F-3 specs.

110 was already in imperial, 133 was the load in US gallons of F4F-4

The Oct 1942 spec data for the F4F-4 states 110USG for the standard fighter (7370lb) and 144USG for the overload fighter (7972lb), differences in other weights made up the variation.

"Using 8 x .30cals would be in no way an improvement to a WWII fighter"
Besides the fact that they worked? This is 1940, and the 1940 era M2 in a wing mount was next to useless in combat. I am sure the RAF would have preferred 8 firing .303's, over jammed .50's.

Take 2 identical BoB Hurricanes, Spitfires or ME109's and add 420 pounds of lead directly below the pilot and then let them dogfight each other.

That's not quite right, we have enough information here to fully compare the 8x .303 vs 4x .50

8x .303 for the Hurricane
guns and accessorizes 201 lbs
ammunition and boxes 204 lbs ( 8 x 330 = 2640 rounds)
pyrotechnics 21 lbs
camera 9 lbs
total 435 lbs

4x .50 F4F
guns and equipment 248.7 lbs ( does this include the ammo boxes?) plus ammo = fixed gun installation (524.5 lbs)
524.5 -248.7= 275.8 lbs of ammo, 275.8 divide by 4 guns = 69 lbs of ammo per gun, @ 50 lbs per 200 rounds =276 rpg approx

Fixed gun installation 524.5 lbs
pyrotechnics 7.9
camera 13.7
total 546.1

The difference is 111 lbs in armament not 420 lbs.

So there you have it, to achieve 330 mph the F4F-3 is loaded to 6,895 lbs which includes less than full fuel ( 110 US gal or 92 Imp) and ammo loads.

Basically a 1941 F4f-3 closely matches a 1940 Hurricane.

Last edited:
I personally don't put much faith in any performance figures except the RAF's, they tested in squadron aircraft as they found them, usually 5 and took the average, the American's on the other hand tested one aircraft that was quite often not a production plane that had gotten some extra attention to give it a bit more speed. I don't believe for one moment that front line warbird Wildcats ever averaged 330mph, the 316-319mph is a more accurate figure, same for the Hurricane, it was rated at 340mph, brand new aircraft on a good day might hit that but otherwise it's optimistic, MkV Trop Spitfires in England were rated at 375mph, Oz Spit's with Merlin 46's maxed out at 335mph. I think is all to common for people to focus on the best figure, not the average.

275 pounds isn't a full load of ammo for an F4F-3. It carried 450 rounds per gun which is 1800 rounds total. The P36 site listed 50 ammo at 50 pounds per 200 rounds, that's 450 pounds of ammo. You could of course load less ammo.
I'm not a fan of 30 caliber guns for fighters, but the 50 and its ammo were heavy and degraded performance until more powerful engines came along. Also, apparently, most BoB pilots couldn't hit anything so a large amount of ammo was needed so they could spray the sky until they hit something. (I don't think any other pilots were any better shots except for US Navy and possibly Japanese navy pilots)
I agree that the F4F-3 and the BoB Hurricane were very close in performance, the Wildcat probably faster and tougher, the Hurricane probably climbed better. F4F-3 would have done fine.

I don't know where the 50lbs per hundred for .50 cal ammo comes from. Perhaps a misprint.
Most weight charts come out at about 30lbs per hundred. A substantial difference. But not that big deal in this case.
A problem with the F4F-3 in the Bob is that there weren't very many F4F-3s built in all of 1941 so the time line needs a considerable shift.
The Martlets and F4F-3a's that were built in 1940/41 had engines rated at lower altitudes.
They would have been useful but no real advantage over the Hurricane I.

here's where I got 50 pounds per 200 rounds for 50 bmg. This is from wwiiaircraftperformance P36. Might be wrong but it's where I got it. I'm sure different rounds would weigh out different as well.
I know there wasn't but a couple of F4F-3's with the 2 stage engine at that time, but I'm going along with the spirit of the thread. How would the Wildcat have done in the BoB? The -3 would have done fine, I think the -3A with a lower altitude 2 speed engine would have struggled.

Again, I go back to the fact that after about 1941, no new fighters were designed with that armament; all featured heavier guns.
Great Britain even redesigned the Spitfire's wing for 20mm cannon and .50cal machine guns.

Again, I go back to the fact that after about 1941, no new fighters were designed with that armament; all featured heavier guns.
Great Britain even redesigned the Spitfire's wing for 20mm cannon and .50cal machine guns.
Yes I know. I'm very very very pro 50 bmg. But for the BoB and pilots with little gunnery training 8 303's might be better, as well as shedding several hundred pounds

Not sure I understand the point you're making. Aircraft capabilities evolve. Typically, the next generation of aircraft have better performance, to include armament, than the preceding generation. During WW2 the generations came around very quickly, as demanded by the accelerating rate of technological advancement. The RAF had already given up on 303-only armament in 1940, it just took time to make the 20mm cannon installations reliable.

The RAF would have been in dire straits had it tried using wing-mounted 50cals in 1940. Yes, it offered greater throw weight but it didn't become reliable in wing-mounted installations until the tail-end of 1942...that's 2 years too late for the Battle of Britain.

The difference in throw weight is not that great in 1940.

Four .50 cal guns at 600rpm = 40 bullets (48.6 grams each) per second = 1.944 kg per second.
Eight .303 guns at 1200rpm = 160 bullets (11.275 grams each) per second = 1.804 KG per second. (92.7%)

The British had NO approved incendiary ammunition for the .50 cal in 1940.
.303 incendiary ammunition was in short supply.

British used different weight (heavier) .50 cal bullets at a lower velocity in the early part of the war compared to what the Americans were starting to use in 1940.

Adjust rpm of the guns as you see fit but the .50, while better, is only better by single digit percentages.
Adjust for different bullet weights but the weights given are for .50 cal Ball MK Iz and .303 AP Mark VIIW. The .50 cal ball used an unhardened steel core.

A single .50 cal weighs over double what the .303 Browning does. and .50 cal ammo weighs about 5 times as much as .303 ammo does for the same amount of ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread