Windows!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
On models that require windows to be put in before the fuselage comes together, what is your technique for ensuring they stay in and don't get ruined? I've tried liquid mask to no effect and think next time I will paint the area, put the windows in, and then when fuselage is filled, cover the window area.

I dip the clear parts in Future, wait 24 hrs. and then Crazy Glue them in. If the interior around the window can't be seen from the outside, you could also run "L" shaped styrene strips around the window. Having said that, I just installed clear parts from the inside on my Ventura and still managed to loosen a window.

Geo

I've knocked a bloody window out of my matchbox Wellington that I'm on and off building.
Blue Tac and the end of pencil and being glad I left the tail turret off will save the day.

In future I might try and install them after painting if it's a model with accessible fuselage via a turret.

I have yet to find a bulletproof way of dealing with this whole interior window thing and my clumsy, fat ass fingers. I think I will try the future / crazy glue idea. I am hoping the Future deals with the CA misting issue with clear parts?
Dale

DSC05726.JPG

I dip them in future, Let them dry overnight, Then cover the surface with Kapton tape and trim it. The kapton tape will keep glues and paint off the surface. (no bleed thru on the edges) Once installed, Do all your painting/weathering. When finished just lift the edge up and peel the kapton tape off. I also use the kapton tape to mask canopies. Cuts easily and sticks well but peels off easily. The kapton tape has a little stretch to it for curves and round windows as well.
Here is a C-118 I did for my Uncle who use to be aircrew on this plane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back