Those pesky windows!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
I probably should have asked this a long time ago but I will now. On those planes where you have to put in the windows before closing the fuselage what is the best method to ensure it sticks and will be in good condition post painting?

Over my numerous trials I tried the future dip, then super glue but sometimes had fogging. I tried elmers then a liquid mask but sometimes I would end up knocking the window back into the plane. Another issue with removing the liquid mask is the window gets scratched up. I do have the window glue that makes small windows but that things a struggle to itself.

I haven't tried cutting tape to shape and peeling it off post paint which some of you may suggest.

Let me know how you do it!

Yet to find an 'ideal' solution myself yet, and can't get any of the 'Future' type products here.
Have had to make do with carefully applied Superglue or PVA (white glue) so far, the risk remains however of them getting knocked in.

I first dip the window into pure future/clear acrylic. When completel dry I put the window into the hole. Then use a paint brush dipped in either one. Touch the loaded brush to the inside edge. Capillary action will draw the acrylic in. When no more will draw in allow to dry. When completely dry you can fillet the inside edge with gel-superglue if you want extra security. The acrylic coating will prevent fogging

Klear/Future the window.
Mask with Tamiya tape (and a new scalpel blade).
Glue into fuselage using an acrylic glue,I use "Gator's Grip". These dry clear.
After final painting and varnishing remove mask to reveal a sparkling window :)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread