Winter Camo for Do-17z (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The U5+ marking marks this as a unit of Kampgeschwader 2. IIRC, the yellow D would mark this as from the 1st gruppe, third staffel.

"Kampfgeschwader 2 " Holzhammer " (KG 2) (Battle Wing 2) was a Luftwaffe bomber unit during the Second World War. The unit was formed in May 1939 and operated the Dornier Do 17 light bomber, Dornier Do 217 and Junkers Ju 188 heavy bombers." (from Wikipedia)

I./ Kg2 operated in Poland, Greece, the Balkans, the Eastern Front. The Yellow tail, engine cowlings and underwing tips were typical of markings for either the Eastern Front, Greece or possibly the Balkans.

The Condor Legion emblem on the side of the plane is typical for units that had served in the Spanish Civil War and were subsequently re-assigned. But the remainder of the markings on the plane in your link are NOT Spanish Civil War markings.

Do 17s from the Spanish Civil war would have white tails and white wing tips, and would be painted in a four color camo - RLM 61 / 62 / 63 on the upper surfaces and RLM 65 underneath, and German markings such as the Hackenkreuze would NOT have been used.

Last edited:
Hi,

I see now. But it is not the Condor Legion "Flying Pencil". This is Do17Z of 3./KG2 coded U5+DL in 1941 . What is more the unit emblem is incorrect rather. The aircraft may or may not have had the unit emblem. If it did, it may have been on a yellow background for this particular aircraft as it was a 3 Staffel aircraft.
I think. it should have been black eagle over the light blue background.This aircraft was painted with 70/71/64 camo scheme and carried the yellow cowling and rudders that were the theatre markings for aircraft in the Balkans. It carried the noseband marking common to KG 2.

And here additional link to site where you can find a few pics of the late Do17 cockpit view.

Do-17, 217 images

Attachments

• Do17Z 3KG2 U5_DL.jpg
    Do17Z 3KG2 U5_DL.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back