World War II Aircraft New Production

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nice thread :) here is a picture of the newbuildt Fw 190 D-9 ( its now in Florida for final assembly )

and i really like the newbuildt better than using originals when it comes to flying..as one said in here..in 100 years we can always make new aircrafts..BUT ( my opinion ) if we fly all originals the next 100 years it will only be replicas left for history to see.. keep the originals on ground.. atleast the few with combathistory.. so we dont loose them in some stupid accident..then they are gone forever. to me it means a lot more to go and see the actual Memphis belle.. a real Fw 190, a spitfire, anything with combat history in a museum than seeing some newmade replica..but on airshows its the shape that counts.. ( for me ) so a replica in the air and the original on the ground is good enough for me.. what would have happened if the memphis belle took to the air..and crashed and burned.. i dont even want to think about it.. but seeing liberty belle and others ( those are ofcourse original B-17 but a LOT is rebuild ) in the air..i love that..but its not a combat veteran.. so i would love to still see originals in the air ( like P-51` s and so on ) but not those few left that saw action...

Attachments

• Florida 2009 178.jpg
    Florida 2009 178.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 117
yes Flug Werk is making the doras as well :) and they look awsome :)
here is a few more pictures of it :)

i really like how they have remade the whole engine so it fits and how they made the exhaustpipes so they come out on the right place ( low ) as the engine is not original.. dont remember right now who made the engine..

Attachments

• Florida 2009 161.jpg
    Florida 2009 161.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Florida 2009 163.jpg
    Florida 2009 163.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Florida 2009 167.jpg
    Florida 2009 167.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Florida 2009 170.jpg
    Florida 2009 170.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 126
CNC machining is getting cheaper and easier. I believe a day is coming where you will be able to email the specs to a custom machinist and have their computer tell their milling machines what to do and have it crank out a Merlin for you.

Clay, we're almost there already. TVAL, here in New Zealand can make you a new WW1 aircraft , complete with new engine. I would guess that there will come a time when you can do the same with WW2 aircraft.
Oberursel Reproduction | The Vintage Aviator

Especially interesting is the fact that they are using a rapid prototyping machine to create almost immediate sandcasts for items. So, I guess, if you sent them a CAD drawing, they could turn out a cast model for you.

Last edited:
yes Flug Werk is making the doras as well :) and they look awsome :)
here is a few more pictures of it :)

i really like how they have remade the whole engine so it fits and how they made the exhaustpipes so they come out on the right place ( low ) as the engine is not original.. dont remember right now who made the engine..
Outstanding!

I am glad to see such an interest in bringing the old warbirds back (including the rarer types), who would have ever thought that they'd be making a brand new Dora even 20 years ago?

Thanks for posting those great photos!

many restorations are already almost complete rebuilds any way.They're restoring planes now that would've been impossible to restore 10 to 20 years ago. Cost and lack of origional engines has always been the main problems blocking new builds but if you have enough money you can build just about anything. and by the way the Dora is really cool. (sorry about the photo quality it was enlarged from an image the size of a postage stamp .Flugwerk can build anairplane that's been extinct for 60 +yrs but they can't post decent pictures on their website? )

Attachments

• dia-Fw190D9atKissimmee3.jpg
    dia-Fw190D9atKissimmee3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
With all of the rapid prototyping machines and CAD stuff, wouldn't it be easier to rebuild an entire engine now? Just think, if you rebuilt the DB 600, that engine and it's derivatives could be used in the me 109, me 110, me 210, do 335, ta 152... the list goes on.

Do the necessarily blueprints and technical specs still exist for this?

With all of the rapid prototyping machines and CAD stuff, wouldn't it be easier to rebuild an entire engine now? Just think, if you rebuilt the DB 600, that engine and it's derivatives could be used in the me 109, me 110, me 210, do 335, ta 152... the list goes on.

Do the necessarily blueprints and technical specs still exist for this?
I know it would upset a lot of people, but probably the best engine to clone and CNC machine an all new reproduction of is an Allison V-1710. There are more of them around, more is known about them, they have been experimented with more than any other engine postwar because of their availability. They could be sold with ratings up to 1750 horsepower. Flugwerk uses the old ones in their Fw-190 IIRC and that's a radial platform. I don't see any reason why some interior cheating couldn't get it into practically anything.

What about the DB 601? The Germans made 10s of thousands of them.

Do the records and blueprints still exist? I mean come on, the Germans are supposed to be meticulous about things like that. :)

What about the DB 601? The Germans made 10s of thousands of them.

Do the records and blueprints still exist? I mean come on, the Germans are supposed to be meticulous about things like that. :)
They also made thousands of Bf109 aircraft, but few exist today.

In the chaos of the final months of the war, much of the German's records were lost. Factories and cities were bombed and in some places, like Berlin for example, the street fighting was brutal, causing alot of destruction to buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back