World's Best Aircraft - 1944? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks!

Interesting, and you are probably right about the internet remark. I bet some explosives will fly in here about it.

I find it interesting that people with little to no experience in a type feel qualified to rate it somehow. That is still widely prevalent.

Last edited:
Me 262 as a fighter and B29 as a four engined bomber, the mosquito and mustang are also worthy for their unique attributes.

Always wondered why the C-46 didn't take on a bigger role.

The C-46 was a much bigger, more complicated aircraft. It might not have been able to operate out of as small a airfield as the C-47.
I don't know which aircraft carried the most tonnage overall, but the C-47 got all the glory.

C-46s carried much more payload than the C-47 but could not operate out of some of the more primitive Pacilfic fields. Curtiss had significant problems fulfilling it's contracts for other designs, to the point that government procurement people got involved and in some cases took over Curtiss' plant operations. That is likely the biggest reason why more C-46s weren't built. Another reason was the stiff competition for it's R-2800 engines for P-47s, B-26s and F6Fs. Douglas, on the other hand, had long and well established production lines dedicated to producing DC-2s and then DC-3s well before the push for wartime production.

It is probably fortunate that the internet didn't exist in 1944...

No problem. The author covered all bases when he wrote "..only between aircraft which are in active operational service and about which details may be published."
In other words: " There may be better planes, but I have not read about them and I could not tell you about them if I had read about them."

I am with Flyboy the DC3 is my number 1 all time bird. My father was an RAF instrument fitter and his verdict on the Dakota. It was built by people who understood flying.

I am a huge fan of the Goonie bird. To me, it is the greatest airplane ever built. There are three in Southern California that served in WWII, then to France and Belgium before going into Israeli service. The last Dakota retired from Israeli service was in 2000! The three that are here now had not been on US soil since they were built until the last few years. 50+ years of military service is impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back