Would the Aichi D3A or Mitsubishi A6M Zero have an external or internal electrical battery to start its engine?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jeffkantoku

Recruit
Jun 9, 2022
What kind of electrical batteries were on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

What other kind of electrical batteries would be on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

Where could I find more information about this?

What other kind of electrical batteries would be on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

I believe it had a 12v 20A lead acid battery that powered an electric starter. I don't know if it had a plug for an external power source. We have a very knowledgeable Japanese member who might have some information. Shinpachi

Last edited:

Go to Tully's Port with this question. If anyone knows the answer to your question you'll probably find them there.

ETA: I see you've already done that.

Japanese loved the inertia for a fighter.
Frankly, I could not believe when I was a kid.

Demonstrating how to start engine with a N1K2-J replica at Uzurano
View attachment 673059
Source: ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYrChFFv_8
Shinpachi! Thank you for all your helpful information. You've shown that inertia starters were used on fighters and fighter-bombers, but how about carrier bombers like the Aichi D3A?

Last edited:
Shinpachi! Thank you for all your helpful information. You've shown that inertia starters were used on fighters and fighter-bombers, but how about carrier bombers like the Aichi D3A?
As bombers didn't mind weight so much as fighters, the D3A was equipped with a motorized inertia (starter) like these diagrams.

Motorized inertia (starter)

D3A engine control diagram

Users who are viewing this thread