WW1 Tanks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Something like this, do these sound ok? what else can i put?

MK1 wooden model shown to war office - September 1915

MK1 prototype shown - December 1915

Complete MK1 trials at Hatfield park - January 1916

Generally it is OK. However, the second point you should change into:

MK1 final shape shown - December 1915

Also you may add the fourth point:

MK1 first official demonstration - 29 January 1916.

so
MK1 wooden model shown to war office - September 1915

MK1 final shape shown - December 1915

Complete MK1 trials at Hatfield park - January 1916

Should i just write down the things that i want to remember?
The full-size wooden model of Wilson's design for an all-round track machine, which Swinton had seen in Lincoln, was brought up to London in September 1915 and shown to War Office representatives at Wembley Park. To what extent it looked like the tank, as ultimately built, we do not know, since no photograph survives. One witness described the weapon sponsons, fitted to the sides, as looking like bow windows, but since the matter of the weapons to be carried had not then been settled this does not signify very much. The final appearance was revealed when the prototype was inspected at Fosters in December, but it could not be described as complete until it arrived at Hatfield Park in Hertfordshire in January 1916, for its official trials. Outwardly it was a dramatic departure from the profile of Little Willie, although in fact the two machines had a lot in common. Indeed, the massive, lozenge-shaped track frames that created the new tank's distinctive silhouette were just enlarged versions of the type fitted to the first machine. Even the body itself was more or less the same shape, except for the raised cab at the front; only now it was sandwiched between the frames, rather than riding on top of them. These frames were extended fore and aft to give an improved trench-crossing capability to meet new War Office requirements and where they protruded, ahead and behind the body, these extensions were referred to as horns.

These three points are OK. Regarding of the additional info.. it depends on you only if you want to remember that. But it is not needed IMHO.

Is this ok,
1585086362922.png

Right i don't know if this wording is correct, on wikipedia it says that the wooden mock up of the MK1 Tank was ready in December 1915, but in my book it says the mk1 prototype was inspected at fosters in December 1915. Would the prototype of been the wooden model and what is correct ready or it was inspected?

Hi i made another tree map, is the information correct, do you think i could add more facts?
1586198930876.png

Hi my book says that the Schneider CA-1 was based on the Holt tractor. The Schneider CA-1 saw action in 1917, When were Holt tractors made? My book shows a Holt 75 tractor and it says that 1,651 Holt 75 tractors were delivered between 1915 - 1918. Were there various types made throughout world war one, not just in 1918? It gives me different information on wikipedia, which information should i learn?

Thank you
Ash

Last edited:
The Holt model 75 tractor wasn't the only tractor produced by the Holt Manufacturing Company The Holt firm also made model 120 and model 60. The assembling of the tractor started in 1908 and lasted until the war end. The French Army used them as the heavy artillery tugs. Looking for a base for their own tank they decided to use just the model 75 as the most numerous equipment at that time. The works started in 1914 and resulted in the Schneider CA-1 tank introduced at the assembling lines of the SOMUA factory in 1916.

Hi can you help me please? im reading about the mk2 tank of ww1 and the one at Bovington museum is female but has a female sponson. I don't understand that, if it's a female tank surely it has a female sponson unless its male then it has a male sponson.

About the Mk.Ii tank ...

" The chief external differences from Mark I lay in the tail wheels, which were not used on Marks II and III and later heavy tanks, the narrower driver's cab and the 'trapezoid' hatch cover on the roof. Only fifty tanks each of Marks II and III were produced. They were unarmoured, in the sense that the steel from which they were built was not heat treated to make it bullet proof. The reason being that these tanks were only intended for use as training machines.

About the requested tank ...
Built as a Male Tank, No. 785. Took part in the battle of Arras, April 1917. Various features, in particular the hinged hatch on the cab roof and internal modifications show that this tank subsequently served in the supply role. Returned to the UK after the war. Exhibited as a Gate Guardian at Chertsey for some years. Around this time it was modified to resemble a Mark I, complete with tail wheel assembly and fitted with sample Male and Female sponsons In this guise it subsequently came to the Tank Museum, bearing the name HMLS Dragonfly. With the arrival of the Mark I Hatfield Tank, it reverted to a Mark II, remained a hermaphrodite, and was later renamed Flying Scotsman when the lettering was detected beneath later layers of paint. Strangely there is no trace of the name Flying Scotsman in 6th Battalion records."

Did they build 100 mk1 tanks of ww1 aswel as building 150 mk 1 tanks or didn't they just build 150?

Initially it was ordered 100 of Mark I tanks. But later the number of ordered vehicles was increased to 150 tanks. The 150 tanks were the male and female ones together.

what tanks were ordered 100 of? Mother prototype or the MK1 when it was finished?

The Mother tank was the only prototype . The order was for the Mark I.

What was finished , the order ?

The original order ws for 100 mk1 then the order went to 150 mk1. Did they build 100 before they built 150?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back