WW1 the eBay finds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1664709395904.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Overall, I think there's been substantial doctoring to make this "look" like a WW1 image but I think it's much more modern.

According to wikipedia, yup, not the most reliable, but its source material is, Paul Leaman's book on Dr Is:

"Three triplanes are known to have survived the Armistice. Serial 528/17 was retained as a testbed by the Deutschen Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt (German Aviation Research Institute) at Adlershof. After being used in the filming of two movies, 528/17 is believed to have crashed sometime in the late 1930s.[37] Serial 152/17, in which Manfred von Richthofen obtained three victories, was displayed at the Zeughaus museum in Berlin.[37] This aircraft was destroyed in an Allied bombing raid during World War II.

In 1932, Fokker assembled a Dr.I from existing components. It was displayed in the Deutsche Luftfahrt-Sammlung in Berlin. In 1943, the aircraft was destroyed in an Allied bombing raid. Today, only a few original Dr.I artifacts survive in museums."

It's possibly one of these aircraft? The marking on the side doesn't resemble anything Richthofen put on his aircraft. The Sammlung Dr I was painted as Richthofen's 425/17, his all-red aircraft he was shot down in and as was typical of aircraft displayed in the big museum it had an inscription on the side of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back