WW2 Aviation Links (Add your links)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

which in turn lead to this site Авиамузей

1699382059645.png

Ran across this website the other day. It has free downloadable digitized searchable volumes of the Aero Digest magazine from Mar'26 to Jun'37. I realize this is technically before WWII but so much of the later info involves the lead-up to the war that I think it appropriate for this thread?

"Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine"

Note that there is a large amount of info on civil and general aviation, along with a fair amount on military aviation - plus a lot on the technical and engineering side of things. Most of it is oriented toward the US aviation industry but there is some non-US stuff as well.

The publication ran from 1921 to 1956, so I am going to try and find the earlier and later issues as well. If I do I will post the links here.

Update

Apparently Aero Digest was originally published as the Aeronautical Digest from 1921-1924 or later.
The HathiTrust website has the following earlier issues at "Catalog Record: Aeronautical digest"
No.3 from 1922
All of the 1923 issues
No.1 & No.2 from 1924

You cannot download the entire pdfs as a whole from HathiTrust unless you are a member of one or another institution, but you can read the entire publication and download pages individually.

Last edited:

You cannot download the entire pdfs as a whole from HathiTrust unless you are a member of one or another institution, but you can read the entire publication and download pages individually.

There is a program called Hathi Download Helper that allows you to download the whole document if it is open access. Hathi Download Helper

It is slow because there is a limit to how many seconds it can download before it must pause for a minute or so but it works fairly well. A minor downside is it downloads each page separately and then merges them into a single file but leaves all the separate single page files that you need to delete manually.

Apparently it can download multiple files at the same time as well - never knew that until now but never needed it anyway.

1700941505355.png

1700942212728.png

Last edited:
Just came across this YouTube channel:

B-17 Flying Fortress

From the channel's 'About' section:

This is the YouTube Channel of my B-17 web site and database B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress – The Queen Of The Skies

I am researching the history of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and sharing my results. My focus of research is to identify B-17s and crews lost in combat. Telling their untold stories. Source of the most of the pictures and footages is the US National Archive.

From watching several of its videos, it appears the channel does what it claims to do. Primary source documents (e.g. route maps, after-action reports, etc.) are shown onscreen. Most of the videos are about five minutes long, but some are longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back