Hi,
For reference, here are some plots that I put together from either data in Francis Dean's book "America's 100,000" or from stuff that I have found on the internet, that might be of use in trying to size a fantasy aircraft idea.
This 1st Plot shows Fuselage Length (in feet) versus the Full Up Gross Wt of the US WWII fighters listed in Mr. Dean's book. The blue boxes and curve through them represent those WWII US Fighter aircraft from the book, and the other three curves just represent some notional curves for "Single Engine (Modern) General Aviation Aircraft", "Twin Engine (Modern) General Aviation Aircraft:", and "Modern Agricultural Aircraft" that I had found notional equations for in an airplane design book,that I added just to see how WWII US Fighters might compare to other more modern aircraft. Here you can see that the fuselage length for the aircraft in Mr. Dean'sbook ranged from about 23 to 30 ft,with gross weights ranging from about 5000 to 14400lbs, or so.
These next plots show notional wing area vs gross weight and notional wing loading vs gross weight for the planes in Mr. Dean's book plus several others fromdata on the internet. In these plots the Blue Squares represent the USN aircraft listed in Mr. Dean's book, whilethe Green Triangles represent the US Army Air Corp planes listed in that book, with UKaircraft shown as Diamonds and other airforces shown as circles.
These next two slides show wing span versus wing area, and wing area versus wing span, respectively.
I think that I also have some plots forestimating the weights of different components, like wings, tail, and fusealge somewhere, and I'll see if I can find them.
Overall though hopefully these curves can give a feel for how long a fuselage would be and how big the wings may be for notional WWII what-if designs (at least if they are based on similar design practices to those that the US aircraft used).
Regards
Pat