WW2 fighter turning performance comparisons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Mike - as a cynic I might have suggested a couple of months back that the prime off line instructions to the Navy pilots conducting the tests "Don't come back with a conclusion that the 51 is superior in any way" - which is why the Patuxent River tests are not accompanied by Turn and acceleration comparisons at various speeds and altitudes - lol - but definitely accompanied by statements that the F4U out turned, accelerated and climbed better –

Hello Bill:

It would be natural and understandable to have misgivings about trials where the Navy compared an Army aircraft against their own or vice versa. After reexamining the Evaluation and Comparison Trials of the P-51B and F4U-1 I don't believe the findings were too terribly politicized if one assumes that the Navy was interested in comparing the P-51 against the best performance possible from standard production operational F4U's as well as F4U's that might be coming into service in the not too distant future.

Allow me to explain why I feel that this particular comparison is at least a reasonable interpretation of how the P-51 and F4U compared. The Navy utilized three aircraft in the trials, namely P-51B No. 37050, F4U-1 02390 and F4U-1A No. 17930.

Firstly, let's check the performance of the P-51 obtained by the Navy and compare it against other sources.

Level Speeds:

P-51B 37050 (Navy, Patuxent River): 358 mph at SL and 450 mph at 29,200' using 67" Hg, 3000 RPM.

P-51B No. 43-6883 (Army, Wright Field): 370 mph at SL and 442 mph at 29,400'.

P-51B FX953 (UK, Boscombe Down): 360 mph at SL and 450 mph at 28,000 ft.

See also P-51 Tactical Planning Characteristics Performance Chart and Aircraft Data Sheet for Mustang III (P-51B)

Thus it can be seen that in this respect at least, the Navy's findings are in good agreement with other flight trials and data sheets.

Climb:

P-51B 37050 (Navy, Patuxent River) 9,423/9,100 lbs.: F4U's are 750 – 1,000 ft/min superior with the P-51B loaded to 9,423 lbs and "superior in climb to 20,000 feet, and the P-51B superior above that altitude" with the P-51B loaded to 9,100 lbs..

P-51B No. 43-6883 (Army, Wright Field) 9,205 lbs.: 3,450 ft/min at 13,800 feet

P-51B FX953 (UK, Boscombe Down) 9,200 lbs.: 3,610 ft/min at 10,600 feet

Unfortunately the Navy didn't provide actual rate of climb figures for the P-51B, rather just the comparative figures as stated above.

The Navy tested two F4U's during the comparison trials. F4U-1A No. 17930 is described as "a standard production raised cabin airplane, with a surface finish in rather poor condition, but with the tail hook removed. It is considered to have been in a drag condition representative of production airplanes after moderate service." The report also notes that "F4U-1A No. 17930 was flown at the standard war emergency rating of 60" at 2700 RPM, with water injection." The level speed results obtained, along with those of another F4U-1 tested by the Navy at the same power settings for comparison, are as follows:

Level speeds:

F4U-1 No. 17930
: 365 mph at SL, 431 mph at 20,300 feet. 60" MAP, 2700 RPM. 31.5" carburetor impact pressure setting. (without tailhook opening faired.)

F4U-1 No. 50070
: 364 mph at SL, 421 mph at 19,850 feet. 60" MAP, 2700 RPM 31.5" carburetor impact pressure setting. (with tailhook)

In contrast the Bureau of Aeronautics-Navy Dept. Airplane Characteristics Performance data sheet lists the level speeds of the F4U-1 as 359 mph at SL and 417 mph at 19,900 feet using water injection.

It can thus be concluded that F4U-1 17930's condition while not exactly standard, is close to standard and its performance a bit stronger than would be typical of production models.

The other F4U-1 tested is certainly not typical of those F4U's entering service at the time of the trials. It's important to note that the Navy doesn't try to pass it off as standard either. "F4U No. 02390 was a standard low-cabin production airplane, in a drag condition representative of that to be expected in the F4U-4 airplane as a Marine land-based fighter. … The principle changes included sealing and fairing the wing fold hinge line, removal of the tail hook, carefully fitted cowling, and a faired and smoothed, but not polished, skin. The total speed gain, as a result of drag reduction alone, in this airplane is estimated to be 8 mph at the airplane upper critical altitude." "F4U-1 No. 02390 was flown at a special war emergency power rating of 65" manifold pressure and 2700 RPM, with water injection at an increased water flow rate." One of the conclusions of the report on F4U-1 No 50030, dated August 2, 1945 was "A combat power rating in excess of 60" manifold pressure is considered to be impractical for general use when atmospheric temperatures are in excess of NACA standard."

Climb:
F4U-1A No. 17930 max climb = 3210 ft/min at SL (12,162 lbs.)
F4U-1 No. 50070 max climb = 3460 ft/min at SL (12,162 lbs.)
F4U-1 No. 02390 unknown but stated as superior to the P-51B at various loadings except above 25,000'.

In contrast the F4U-1's climb rate as shown on the Airplane Characteristics Performance sheet is 2890 ft/min at SL at 12039 lbs and using water injection. It appears that the Navy is on less solid ground with their conclusions regarding climb comparisons of the F4U and P-51B.

Was the Navy trying to mislead their intended readership based on what we know so far? With respect to level speed performance, I don't think so, but including F4U No. 02390 in the trial does muddy things up for us in this day and age if we are just reading their conclusions, looking at the charts and not examining the details. It does appear to me, however, they were stretching the truth a bit with respect to their conclusions regarding climb. Sure, the report is probably somewhat biased but in the end I believe the F4U served the Navy well and was probably a better choice for them just as the P-51 was the better choice for the Army Air Force.

Frankly the report only touches on maneuverability and response and apparently is little more than pilot's impressions. It falls far short of "turn and acceleration comparisons at various speeds and altitudes" (well, to be fair, no one was doing that at the time) or full fledged tactical comparison trials such as those conducted by Eglin or AFDU in the UK. I'd agree with you that the report's conclusions in this respect were a bit of a stretch. A USAAF report comparing an F4U and an Allison engined P-51 provides an interesting counterpoint.

There must be a good reason why most test centers of the period used comparative, head to head testing, for performance variables such as turn, acceleration, roll, etc. Interestingly the Navy did occasionally test and quantify roll rates such as that found in this report on the F4U and this report on the F6F. Quibbles with the report analyzed here aside, on the whole I find the Navy performance testing, especially that carried out at Patuxent River, to be very thorough, professional and the equal to Wright Field or A&AEE in the UK.

I suppose this ramble is not terribly on topic to the overall thrust of this thread but it is intended as a reply to Bill's post and it's what is interesting to me at this time and hopefully some of you too. What material I've found on WWII fighter turning comparisons can be found at the link in my signature, some reports and diagrams of which have already been linked to in this thread.

I do wish the ones that I could afford to buy, had been that good

I misread the L/D characteristics. 60:1 is a typical racing sailplane. 43:1 is a typical high performance sailplane L/D max. They are not cheap for sure. Especially since the utility of a glider is rather small. "Fun toy" is about as far it gets IMHO when considering Glider ownership. Shame as you really need some decent piloting skills to get the most out of them.

I am considering installing a tow on one of my aircraft to get some of the "cost of flying" back.

The point still stands:

Certainly it can outturn most "powered" aircraft for a while at least. Your glider has much more power available than a Cessna as long as it exchanging PE for KE to maintain that altitude. It uses it's lightweight and low drag to gain the advantage in Pa. Great example of how L/D characteristics determine performance.

Typical L/D max for a sailplane is ~60:1. Typical L/D max for a Cessna 150 is ~7:1. Your glider is moving 60 feet forward for every foot of altitude lost. The Cessna 150 is moving 7 feet forward for every foot of altitude lost. It takes a lot less energy to move your glider than it does the Cessna.

Hence your glider has more power available in the turn. You will reach a point where you have exchanged all energy available and can no longer maintain that altitude. The Cessna on the otherhand will reach a point it can sustain performance at that altitude as long as it has fuel to convert to KE.

All the best,

Crumpp

Hello Bill:

It would be natural and understandable to have misgivings about trials where the Navy compared an Army aircraft against their own or vice versa. After reexamining the Evaluation and Comparison Trials of the P-51B and F4U-1 I don't believe the findings were too terribly politicized if one assumes that the Navy was interested in comparing the P-51 against the best performance possible from standard production operational F4U's as well as F4U's that might be coming into service in the not too distant future.

Allow me to explain why I feel that this particular comparison is at least a reasonable interpretation of how the P-51 and F4U compared. The Navy utilized three aircraft in the trials, namely P-51B No. 37050, F4U-1 02390 and F4U-1A No. 17930.

Firstly, let's check the performance of the P-51 obtained by the Navy and compare it against other sources.

Level Speeds:

P-51B 37050 (Navy, Patuxent River): 358 mph at SL and 450 mph at 29,200' using 67" Hg, 3000 RPM.

P-51B No. 43-6883 (Army, Wright Field): 370 mph at SL and 442 mph at 29,400'.

P-51B FX953 (UK, Boscombe Down): 360 mph at SL and 450 mph at 28,000 ft.

See also P-51 Tactical Planning Characteristics Performance Chart and Aircraft Data Sheet for Mustang III (P-51B)

Thus it can be seen that in this respect at least, the Navy's findings are in good agreement with other flight trials and data sheets.

Climb:

P-51B 37050 (Navy, Patuxent River) 9,423/9,100 lbs.: F4U's are 750 – 1,000 ft/min superior with the P-51B loaded to 9,423 lbs and "superior in climb to 20,000 feet, and the P-51B superior above that altitude" with the P-51B loaded to 9,100 lbs..

P-51B No. 43-6883 (Army, Wright Field) 9,205 lbs.: 3,450 ft/min at 13,800 feet

P-51B FX953 (UK, Boscombe Down) 9,200 lbs.: 3,610 ft/min at 10,600 feet

Unfortunately the Navy didn't provide actual rate of climb figures for the P-51B, rather just the comparative figures as stated above.

The Navy tested two F4U's during the comparison trials. F4U-1A No. 17930 is described as "a standard production raised cabin airplane, with a surface finish in rather poor condition, but with the tail hook removed. It is considered to have been in a drag condition representative of production airplanes after moderate service." The report also notes that "F4U-1A No. 17930 was flown at the standard war emergency rating of 60" at 2700 RPM, with water injection." The level speed results obtained, along with those of another F4U-1 tested by the Navy at the same power settings for comparison, are as follows:

Level speeds:

F4U-1 No. 17930
: 365 mph at SL, 431 mph at 20,300 feet. 60" MAP, 2700 RPM. 31.5" carburetor impact pressure setting. (without tailhook opening faired.)

F4U-1 No. 50070
: 364 mph at SL, 421 mph at 19,850 feet. 60" MAP, 2700 RPM 31.5" carburetor impact pressure setting. (with tailhook)

In contrast the Bureau of Aeronautics-Navy Dept. Airplane Characteristics Performance data sheet lists the level speeds of the F4U-1 as 359 mph at SL and 417 mph at 19,900 feet using water injection.

It can thus be concluded that F4U-1 17930's condition while not exactly standard, is close to standard and its performance a bit stronger than would be typical of production models.

The other F4U-1 tested is certainly not typical of those F4U's entering service at the time of the trials. It's important to note that the Navy doesn't try to pass it off as standard either. "F4U No. 02390 was a standard low-cabin production airplane, in a drag condition representative of that to be expected in the F4U-4 airplane as a Marine land-based fighter. … The principle changes included sealing and fairing the wing fold hinge line, removal of the tail hook, carefully fitted cowling, and a faired and smoothed, but not polished, skin. The total speed gain, as a result of drag reduction alone, in this airplane is estimated to be 8 mph at the airplane upper critical altitude." "F4U-1 No. 02390 was flown at a special war emergency power rating of 65" manifold pressure and 2700 RPM, with water injection at an increased water flow rate." One of the conclusions of the report on F4U-1 No 50030, dated August 2, 1945 was "A combat power rating in excess of 60" manifold pressure is considered to be impractical for general use when atmospheric temperatures are in excess of NACA standard."

Climb:
F4U-1A No. 17930 max climb = 3210 ft/min at SL (12,162 lbs.)
F4U-1 No. 50070 max climb = 3460 ft/min at SL (12,162 lbs.)
F4U-1 No. 02390 unknown but stated as superior to the P-51B at various loadings except above 25,000'.

In contrast the F4U-1's climb rate as shown on the Airplane Characteristics Performance sheet is 2890 ft/min at SL at 12039 lbs and using water injection. It appears that the Navy is on less solid ground with their conclusions regarding climb comparisons of the F4U and P-51B.

Was the Navy trying to mislead their intended readership based on what we know so far? With respect to level speed performance, I don't think so, but including F4U No. 02390 in the trial does muddy things up for us in this day and age if we are just reading their conclusions, looking at the charts and not examining the details. It does appear to me, however, they were stretching the truth a bit with respect to their conclusions regarding climb. Sure, the report is probably somewhat biased but in the end I believe the F4U served the Navy well and was probably a better choice for them just as the P-51 was the better choice for the Army Air Force.

Frankly the report only touches on maneuverability and response and apparently is little more than pilot's impressions. It falls far short of "turn and acceleration comparisons at various speeds and altitudes" (well, to be fair, no one was doing that at the time) or full fledged tactical comparison trials such as those conducted by Eglin or AFDU in the UK. I'd agree with you that the report's conclusions in this respect were a bit of a stretch. A USAAF report comparing an F4U and an Allison engined P-51 provides an interesting counterpoint.

There must be a good reason why most test centers of the period used comparative, head to head testing, for performance variables such as turn, acceleration, roll, etc. Interestingly the Navy did occasionally test and quantify roll rates such as that found in this report on the F4U and this report on the F6F. Quibbles with the report analyzed here aside, on the whole I find the Navy performance testing, especially that carried out at Patuxent River, to be very thorough, professional and the equal to Wright Field or A&AEE in the UK.

I suppose this ramble is not terribly on topic to the overall thrust of this thread but it is intended as a reply to Bill's post and it's what is interesting to me at this time and hopefully some of you too. What material I've found on WWII fighter turning comparisons can be found at the link in my signature, some reports and diagrams of which have already been linked to in this thread.

Mike - thx for the details.

Actually I am not a Mustang bigot with respect to performance and the F4U is probably the best fighter we put into combat in WWII when you look at every possible role. I wish it had been in Europe in 1943.

PS - I'm waiting for last detail from 357 guys on the 24 April mission - then I will send it your way.

Hi Bill,

I know that you do not have any trouble grasping the concepts. It is just a difficult concept to explain on a BBS over the internet.

I hope my explainations above make the concept I was conveying much clearer.

You are correct that there are situations where turn performance can be decisive. In fact turn performance is much more important in the Jet age due to the differences in thrust producers and power producers behavior in the region of reversed command.

It is an interesting line of discussion IMHO.

All the best,

Crumpp

Crumpp - I thought you explained it well. You actually had me digging up old (very old) performance text books to refresh my thinking. I had some minor points to debate but wasn't worth quibbling over.

Regards,

Bill

I Especially since the utility of a glider is rather small. "Fun toy" is about as far it gets IMHO when considering Glider ownership. Shame as you really need some decent piloting skills to get the most out of them.

I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL,
:evil:

I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL, I must not comment on the average PPL,

Lol! Glider.

I actually had about five or six rides in a glider back in late 50's when my father taught me how to fly.

His theory was that I would more quickly learn how to a.) perform a co ordinated turn and b.) obtain quick 'power' off judgment and skills for the 'just in case' scenario than just being exposed to powered flight.

I also did my first stalls and landings in a glider before advancing to next stage of my tutorials..

and he was right.

I must not comment on the average PPL,

LOL yep. Well being an engineer does not make you a pilot and neither does being a pilot make you an engineer.

I admit to hearing some somewhat ignorant statements about the science of flight coming from the pilot's lounge. Statements like a wing which "generates more lift" and "having excess lift" come to mind.

This has to be caveated with the fact that on a practical level those kind of statements make perfect sense. This naturally comes from operating a vehicle that speed measurement instruments do not tell you how fast you're going and altitude measuring instruments do not tell you how high the plane is flying! Very little about an airplane operates as it seems too.

IMHO there is also quite a bit about flying that your natural reactions will get you killed that it just becomes easier to simply tell the student pilot, "This is how it works in the air and don't worry about why or what is really going on". Otherwise the FAA would require 4 years of Ground Instruction.

All the best,

Crumpp

IMHO there is also quite a bit about flying that your natural reactions will get you killed that it just becomes easier to simply tell the student pilot, "This is how it works in the air and don't worry about why or what is really going on". Otherwise the FAA would require 4 years of Ground Instruction.

All the best,

Crumpp

Well said - It's funny, I did a flight review this morning for a guy who mainly flew low wing aircraft. After he got the feel for proper C-172 approach speeds (so he isn't floating down the runway all day) I told him "See the bottom of the green on the airspeed indicator? Unless your wheels are on the ground, keep the needle above that!"

BTW nice airplane, don't know how you'll do as a tow plane but if you're at sea level all should be fine....

BTW nice airplane, don't know how you'll do as a tow plane but if you're at sea level all should be fine....

Thanks! They are pretty popular tugs in Europe with a few here in the states. The tow hook is a factory option for the design.

All the best,

Crumpp

Thanks! They are pretty popular tugs in Europe with a few here in the states. The tow hook is a factory option for the design.

All the best,

Crumpp
At the academy we use a Toast hook and 180 hp Supercubs. Our TPA is 7000' MSL so we need a lot of pull to be able to tow and it seems the Supercub woks best.

The one that I have the most experience of is a Piper Pawnee but the most interesting, was a one off Chipmunk.
It was a one off, because it was used to teach Prince Charles to fly in. As Prince Charles was going to use it, a number of small modifications were made to it, enough changes so that once he had learnt to fly, the RAF didn't want it any more.
At RNAS Culdrose we were looking for a tug and got it cheap.

That's a good story, glider.

flyboyJ,

My aircraft feeds off Supercubs and Cessna's.....It has a filler port for the parts.

Here it is all dressed up to bag a limit of 172's:

th_67907_0593895_122_1042lo.jpg

That's a good story, glider.

flyboyJ,

My aircraft feeds off Supercubs and Cessna's.....It has a filler port for the parts.

Here it is all dressed up to bag a limit of 172's:

th_67907_0593895_122_1042lo.jpg

Hehehe - that's funny...

Can it do it at 6000' MSL???

I don't see why not!

:)

That is an actual picture of the Military version. New Zealand and El Salvador use it in the ground attack role.

It can lift some weight as a design.

All the best,

Crumpp

Our Cubs are in the air within 200'. We actually looked at Socatas during a study and found they might of been powerful enough for towing here but would present some other problems. Nice plane though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back