WW2 german soldiers with arabic flag..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
I never seen something like this.I know there were some islamic troops but these seem to be born and bread bavarian boys..

DEUTSCHE SOLDATEN MIT ARABISCHER FAHNE.jpg

Nice photograph, I agree they look like European soldiers. The Germans could be anywhere where Arabic is spoken ,from North Africa to Iraq. The photograph is too indistinct to make out any details. Posing with flags and banners captured or otherwise was and is not unusual.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Possibly deep in the Caucasus .... the furthest east that the Germans reached. They spent a winter at the highest elevation in Europe IIRC

That looks like it can be guys from the Freies Arabien (Free Arabian Legion)

Maybe, but whatever is on the arm of the guy front right is not the insignia of the 'Freies Arabien'. Unfortunately that's the only insignia I can see and he may not be part of the same unit as the rest of them. He's the only one not wearing a helmet and looks like he may have 'photobombed' the others :)

Now you've said it a couple of those guys do look a bit Arab! I thought they were just sun tanned earlier.

Cheers

Steve

The soldier "photo bombing" the group is a DAK soldier, the rest are indeed, Arabian legionaires.

You can barely make out the shoulder-boards on the soldier seen to the right and holding a corner of the banner. Unfortunately, none of the shoulders are visible to show the legion's patch.

Here's a better photo:

image.jpg

I wonder how the captioner knows that's Tunisia. It could be anywhere within the bounds I originally mentioned (Iraq/Syria/North Africa) but add Greece :)

Of course it might be written on the back :)

Cheers

Steve

Edit... Doh! I should have clocked that the photobomber is already identified as a DAK (Afrika Korps) soldier. I guess that probably does mean North Africa.

Last edited:
Germany supported a number of Islamic causes, including the forerunner of the modern PLO. Arafats father met with hitler during the war, where hitler made vague promises about Palestine in exchange for Palestinian support.

Similar promises were made in Bosnia and of course with the Muslim minorities in the Caucasus.

Im not sure what, if any deals were done or attempted in Libya and the French NA colonies. Germany tried to foment unrest in Egypt without much success. And of course then there was the uprisings in Iraq and a lesser known attempt in Iran as well.

now these guys are all our friends, apparently.....

The Muslim Brotherhood - the enduring Nazi Connection

The Muslim Brotherhood was founded in Egypt in 1928 by a 22-year old Muslim named Hassan al-Banna, who admired Adolf Hitler's hatred of the Jews and persistently wrote to Hitler to express his admiration for Hitler, as well as his desire for collaboration with Hitler's Nazi Party.

When Hitler rose to power, his Nazis supported al-Banna, a school teacher, to grow the Muslim Brotherhood into its ally in the Middle East; by 1938, the membership of Muslim Brotherhood topped 200,000.

During World War II, members of the Muslim Brotherhood spied for Hitler's Nazis in the Middle East and fought for Hitler as Nazi troops in two specially formed Muslim Waffen-SS "Handschar" Divisions ('Handschar' is German for scimitar, the curved sabre used by the Muslim troops of the Ottoman empire).

Hitler regularly met with Haj Amin al-Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and a close ally of al-Banna, in Berlin, where he lived as Hitler's VIP guest from 1941 to 1945, before joining al-Banna in Egypt in 1946. The Muslim Nazi troops of the Waffen-SS Handschar Divisions are considered to be the most brutal of all the SS. They were also the largest of Hitler's 38 Waffen-SS divisionsl.

After World War II, the Muslim Brotherhood continued to grow, supported this time by the West, which saw it as a counterweight to the threat of Soviet-backed Communism in the Middle East. By the late 1940s, Muslim Brotherhood numbered 500,000 members. While some of them engaged in community projects like buiding schools and medical clinics, other continued to engage in extreme violence, including bombings, arsons and murders. In 1948, members of the Muslim Brotherhood assassinated the Egyptian Prime Minister Mahmoud Fahmi al-Nuqrashi and participated in the invasion of the newly re-created nation of Israel.

The Muslim Brotherhood's violent conflict with the Egyptian government, which also included the government's assassination of al-Banna and two failed Muslim Brotherhood assassination attempts on the Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser, eventually led to many of its leaders being jailed while others fled and established branches abroad, mostly in other Middle Eastern Arab nations but also in Europe, UK and USA.

Concluding that it did not yet have the muscle to spread Islam by force, Muslim Brotherhood 'officially' renounced violence in the 1970s and switched to more cunning strategies detailed in its secret internal manifesto, "The Project". In 1979, Western powers supported the Muslim Brotherhood to form the Mujahedeen army and fight the Soviet army in Afghanistan.

Muslim Brotherhood salute..jpg

In 1987, Muslim Brotherhood in Israel created Hamas, whose members still use the Nazi salute (above) and read Hitler's Mein Kampf, which the Muslim Brotherhood re-titled, My Jihad, and translated into Arabic in the 1930s (Mein Kampf remains the #6 best-seller in the Muslim world today and a favorite among members of the Muslim Brotherhood).

In 1989, the Muslim Brotherhood's Mujahedeen army pushed the Soviet army out of Afghanistan and then split. One of the factions became Al Qaeda, led by a Muslim Brotherhood-schooled Saudi named, Osama bin Laden.

People often believe the war against the Nazis ended in 1945.......

Im writing this from an historical perspective, documenting how those old photos still have resonance, and a connection to things happening in the world to this day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back