Cars named after (or same as) WW2 and 1950s aircraft? (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't forget that in the '90s, GMC had high performance trucks and SUVs named Syclone and Typhoon.

Many coach builders ... horse drawn and engine powered, referred to the body style with coachman/chauffeur outside behind a windshield as a Lancastrian.

Don't forget the post-war airliner given the generic coach/auto name, 'Tudor.'

Attachments

• Packard.jpg
    Packard.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Tudor.jpg
    Tudor.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1
I once had a vehicle named after a damned aircraft carrier.

Bacon for the first correct guess.
Franklin, Lexington, Concord, Wasp, Hornet, Saratoga, Wolverine, Ranger, Essex, Ford, Roosevelt, Miller, Yorktown, Sable, Lincoln ... c'mon Thumper ... my fingers will get tired long before I exhaust my memory, and that's just the Amurican carriers!

Last edited:
Ford had the Tudor sedan. It so happens that Ford's Tudor was a play on words for a Two-Door sedan and was not referring to the Royal Family.

Incidently, Chrysler had a Windsor and so did Vickers.
Ford started using the royal name Tudor in sales items to add some charm to their bargain Model T's, then when Edsel got involved, he officially named and badged a sporty version of the Model A, and called the upscale model the Victoria. Those names and badges endured at least into the 50s when four door cars became more in demand.

Ford sold their '50s sedan with a 'Fordor' badge, spelled differently from the Fairey.

Lately, Skoda has showed us their Tudor, spelled in the royal style.

Sadly, Mercury never offered a "de Sade" option for the Marquis.
Cutsey comment, but IMHO, de Sade was the notable exception who sullied a noble title ... bestowed throughout European aristocracy just below a Duke, and above an Earl. Note that many WWI European aviators had earned the title of Marquis, as well as many Prime Ministers and statesmen. Many others were aero, auto and equestrian sportsmen right up to the present day.

Our obvious link was the teen age Marquis de Lafayette who joined Washington's staff and was responsible for encouraging much needed French support for our Revolution. Of course, we reciprocated in WWI by organizing the "Lafayette Escadrille" prior to our official intervention. There was a wave of "Lafayette, we are here!" placards, slogans, headlines and joyful utterances in June '44!

There were two Lafayette cars. The first was built in Indianapolis IN from 1919 through 1924. They were then bought by Nash who used the name again on a lower priced model from 1934 through 1937.

In addition, to more appropriately tie to the WWII theme, note that Studebaker offered a popular 'Dictator' model during the era of Stalin, Adolph and Benito.

Hi,

Hopefully not getting too far off topic, but my first car was a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere. Its name doesn't have any avaition or nautical connections, but I used to jike that its trunkwas big and wide enough to land a helicopter on it, and on more than a few occasions wondered what it would look like if I painted the trunk dark gray with landing markings o_O
I can envision a Bell 47 landing on the rear deck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back