WW2 Helicopters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seawitch

Airman 1st Class
Dec 17, 2006
London
www.seawitchartist.com
Hi all
I thought it was time to stop lurking and start posting again, I was interested in the RAF's gyroplanes, they were very secret radar support aircraft, but my scouting about led to other things including this youtube on German ww2 Helicopters, I just didn't know this was going on!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SrUyNG4fYA has the topic been discussed at length here?
I've never heard of them in action anywhere.

My grandfather once told me that helicopters were tested in the Dachstein region were he was stationed in a training facility for mountain troops

The Fl-282B had a maximum speed of 93 mph at sea level. The Fl-282B was used for such military tasks as directing artillery fire and guiding tanks over rough terrain. Beginning in 1944, the army began to implement a program to provide a helicopter to each independent artillery brigade. However, as the Allies advanced into Normandy in 1944, the Fl 282s were destroyed to prevent capture, but three were taken home as war booty by Russia and the United States.
FL-282-fly.jpg

I don't envy the pilot, jeepers, it must be like flying on a carpet perched out like that!
My Dad, an ex Tankie, went up in a Skeeter (remember those tiny things?) and had to ask to be put down agin.
I rather liked the Wessex myself, no other helicopter ever managed to look quite so good, it's the only type I've been in too.

Great post!!!
That movie was awesome, i had the ideia that there were helicopters in tthe wwii, but i had never seen pictures of it.
Nice!!

Great find ...I knew that the German played with the choppers ...But this shows alot more then I was thinking they did ...I wish the video had someone telling some info ...The chopper thats flying in doors is Hanna Reitsch..She even did testing flying the V-1 rockets..:shock: ..They both must of been a ride ...She had real nerve

The germans built a few different verisons of the helicopter. Here is the Focke Achgelis Fa 223. Picture from the book German helicopters 1928- 1945 by Heinz J Nowarra. Printed by schiffer books

Attachments

• helicopter.jpg
    helicopter.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back