WW2 Horsa glider warning panel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I love that Lancaster display and the news article is far better than any equivalent article in any Australian press commemorating the sacrifices that our military made in any war.

Does anyone have any idea how the British made the glider warning panels? What were they made of, and were they printed or engraved? I'm trying to finish my instrument panel.
The characters on the speed warning plate on the small panel, were pressed into the plate material; probably with some obsolete tool that used heat during the process. I'm not 100% certain regarding the main panel (weight warning) plate, but believe it was engraved using an early 'gravograph' engraving machine. I'll have to get back to you about the materials used; I've forgotten!

I wonder why the hinged panels in the windscreens directly in front of the pilots.
These are known as 'clear vision panels', I assume they were used to assist during landings if a landing zone was difficult to see, due to smoke e.t.c. There is one story of a British second glider pilot who fired a machine gun through a clear vision panel as his Horsa was coming in to land during Operation 'Varsity.

Here is the only pictures of the actual warning panels. One was for sale in the UK, and the other was a screenshot of a war time film clip found on youtube. I included pictures of my instrument panel so far.

Last edited:
I will try to do a side by side comparison of original warning and air speed plates. Their were a lot of limitations of getting these plates made.
1. From what were the plates made of.
2. If they were printed, was their a certain font.
3. Lack of information on the internet on the panels, and their plates.
4. Very few high quality pictures.

So I ended up having my plates engraved on a black and white plastic. All in all, I think their not to bad. Maybe I should rub a little dirt in them to age them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing that speed warning plate for sale; think it was on the WD Militaria website; I know the buyer too It's not a type I've come across before so can't really give an opinion regarding authenticity; it certainly isn't the same as my plate but that could just be down to the one shown having been made by another manufacturer?. Yep, that's the same still image I mentioned having seen in your other thread.

That laminated plastic you had your plates made of, isn't too bad; it's called 'traffolyte'. Looks like you painted the edges so the laminated effect can't be seen; I would've done the same =D>

Users who are viewing this thread