WWII Engine Boost Units (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
There have been several people in here who have expressed some doubt about conversion among American, British, German, and Russian engine boost. I thought I'd address that.

The U.S.A. used inches of Mercury (in. Hg). The British used pounds (per square inch) of boost. The Germans used technical atmospheres. The Japanese used millimeters of Mercury. I have no idea why they used different units and don't care. The problem is converting among them.

Since I am from the U.S.A., I'll reference inches of Mercury, but the equations are easily manipulated to reference other units.

1) The U.S.A. uses inches of Mercury (in Hg).

2) British psi of boost (lbs Boost) = [(14.696/29.92) * in Hg] – 14.696

3) German Technical Atmospheres (ata) = (in Hg) / 28.958

4) Japanese mm Mercury (mm Hg) = (in Hg – 29.92) * (760 / 29.92)

If anyone is interested, I have an Excel spreadsheet that computes all the others from any of them that I can forward or post ... but I can't seem to post an Excel file ... the "manage attachments" button doesn't seem to work for me. Neither does the "Attachments" button.

Attachments

• Equivalent Boost Pressure.jpg
    Equivalent Boost Pressure.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

If anyone is interested, I have an Excel spreadsheet that computes all the others from any of them that I can forward or post ... but I can't seem to post an Excel file ... the "manage attachments" button doesn't seem to work for me. Neither does the "Attachments" button.

Hi, Greg, maybe you might want to zip the Excel file, and then post it?

Would love to have that chart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back