WWII MISTERIES: What happened with the JU390?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Naziabomb

I'm not even going to address some of the issues on this fantasy site, but your $64,000 dollar question is answered quite incorrectly and any look at the historical record will confirm this. The issue of the use, or even potential use, of such weapons is and was contentious. It should not be treated so flippantly.

It is true that in 1944 the decision was taken to order 500,000 anthrax 'bombs' from the Americans, but the defensive rationale for this is ignored.
Churchill March 8th (P.M.'s Personal Min. No. M.246/4, Churchill to Brown, 8 March 1944, in PREM 3/65.):

".. I have had most secret consultations with my Military Advisers. They consider, and I entirely agree, that if our enemies should indulge in this form of warfare, the only deterrent would be our power to retaliate."

Again on May 21st (P.M.'s Personal Min. No. D. 162/4, Churchill to Ismay, 21 May 1944, in CAB 120/782.)

"As you know, great progress has been made in bacteriological warfare and we have ordered a half million bombs from America for use should this mode of warfare be employed against us ..."

I have included references which you can check. Now, clearly not only do you have the timing wrong, but the interest in bacteriological agents was as a response to a perceived threat from similar weapons if deployed by the enemy. It had absolutely ZERO connection to a non existent nuclear threat in March 1944.

It is possible you are conflating two different things. In July 1944 Churchill did seriously consider the use of poison gas in the now infamous and often misquoted minute (P.M.'s Personal Min. No. D.217/4, 6 July 1944, in PREM 3/89 (also in CAB 120/775)).

I include just a couple of paragraphs, the full minute is in the public domain for anyone who wants to read it.

"1. I want you to think very seriously over this question of poison gas. I would not use it unless it could be shown either that (a) it was life or death for us, or (b) that it would shorten the war by a year.

6. If the bombardment of London really became a serious nuisance and great rockets with far-reaching and devastating effect fell on many centres of Government and labour, I should be prepared to do anything that would hit the enemy in a murderous place. I may certainly have to ask you to support me in using poison gas. We could drench the cities of the Ruhr and many other cities in Germany in such a way that most of the population would be requiring constant medical attention. We could stop all work at the flying bomb starting points. I do not see why we should always have all the disadvantages of being the gentleman while they have all the advantages of being the cad. There are times when this may be so but not now."

This is clearly a consideration of the use of chemical NOT biological weapons in response to the continued bombardment of London by V-1s and predates the first V-2 attack. Again, explicitly, nothing to do with a non existent nuclear weapon slightly later in 1944.
The nature of the response and others within the UK's government and forces is confirmed by comments like this, on 8th July by the Chief of the Naval Staff (Cunningham) in his diary. (Cunningham Papers, Vol. XXI, Diary, 1944 (British Library, Add. MS. 52577)

"C.O.S. meeting at 1100. Discussion on P.M.'s rather immoderate minutes (a) on the use of gas (b) on General Alexander's plans in Italy. In the first he talks of 'uniformed psalm-singers' presumably referring to the Directors of Plans ... He obviously had a bad day after his statement [of 6 July, on flying bombs] in H[ouse] of C[ommons]."

The Chief of the Air Staff (Portal) didn't believe the use of gas would be effective. It was during these discussions that it was suggested that the investigation into chemical options should be undertaken under the supervision of the Vice-Chiefs of Staff, and that both the Chemical AND Biological Warfare sub-committees should be consulted. In other words, the Chiefs of Staff took it upon themselves to widen the terms of reference for the proposed report to bring in germ warfare as well as gas. This broadening of the task was specified in the formal instruction to the Vice-Chiefs (COS(44)227th Mtg (0)(14), 8 July 1944, in CAB 79/77)

"carry out a comprehensive examination of the points raised in the Prime Minister's minute, and to include in their examination consideration of the possibilities of biological warfare and of the form which enemy reprisals might take."

As Churchill had not asked for the biological option to be explored the reply from a COS secretary (Hollis) to Churchill's original minute didn't even mention it.

"Prime Minister, Reference your minute at Flag 'A' (D.217/4) about the use of gas, the Chiefs of Staff this morning directed the Vice-Chiefs of Staff to go into this matter with the greatest care and thoroughness, bringing into consultation all interested authorities.

2. A report will be submitted to you as soon as possible."
(COS Sec. Min. 1140/4, Hollis to Churchill, 8 July 1944, in CAB 120/775)

The resulting report had very little on biological warfare. Only three paragraphs were devoted to it.

"19. If the claims of N [anthrax] are substantiated, its use could probably make a material change in the war situation, but there is no likelihood of a sustained attack being possible before the middle of 1945.

20. There is no known prophylactic against N. If it can be used in practice, the effect on morale will be profound.

21. It is improbable that the Germans will initiate biological warfare. There is no evidence to show whether they are in a position to retaliate in kind, were we to initiate it."

(COS(44)661 (0), 26 July 1944, in CAB 80/85.)

The British did not have enough biological weapons to mount a meaningful campaign. The 500,000 bombs ordered from the Americans were supposed to suffice for retaliatory attacks on six German cities, but in October 1944 the Biological Warfare sub-committee told the Chiefs of Staff that.

"it may be necessary to arrange provision of 8 times this number of bombs in order to achieve results on the scale originally intended"
(Closed (50 years) Document: BW(44)21, 10 October 1944 – also circulated as COS(44)892(0), 10 October 1944, in CAB 80/88.)

This was never done, indeed the Chiefs of Staff, on 13 October 1944 decided to let stand what was termed

"the present token order for 500,000 bombs."
(COS(44)338th Mtg (0) (7), 13 October 1944, in CAB 79/81.)

In summary though the British did seriously look at chemical and to a lesser extent biological warfare options in response to the V-1 bombardment there was never a serious plan to implement either. As far as biological warfare goes there was no plan, nor sufficient material. There were never anything other than experimental 'Anthrax laced cattle cakes', produced at Porton Down in 1942 (I'm aware of the 5 million claimed by some, making the cake (Olympia Oil and Cake Company in Blackburn) and impregnating it are two different things), and there was never a public threat to use them. The discussions were so secret that some of the papers referenced above were sealed for 50 years (until 1994). There was resistance to the use of either form of warfare by just about everyone in the British establishment. Even in wartime Britain was still a democracy and Churchill did not have the powers of his adversary in Germany. Just because Churchill was interested in something didn't mean that it would happen. This was summed up nicely in Cunningham's diary on 21st July 1944 when he wrote:

"C.O.S. meeting at 1100. Nothing much of importance, P.M.'s minute on the study of retaliation by gas was to the effect that he could do nothing if the warriors as well as the parsons were against him."

Now, you posed your own $64000 question and gave an answer that the Germans did not use their super weapon for fear of retaliation by biological warfare. I can show that the answer is absolute nonsense. Maybe you should try again? Why didn't the Germans use this supposed weapon? Not because of the threat of biological retaliation by Britain. A far more likely and logical explanation would be that no such weapon existed.

The problem with sites like yours, trying to show an alternate history or discredit the received version is that they don't bother to do the work to establish the facts. By cherry picking a few 'facts', conflating them, quoting them out of context, they attempt to construct a version or series of events that rarely if ever stand up to a proper and rigorous historical examination.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Steve, did you send the above text to the guy running that site?

Hi Peter, he posts the link to the fantasy site on the bottom of his posts on this site. I figure he can read it here, as can anyone else who is interested.

It amazes me how gullible people can be. They will accept documents, quotes, images with no attribution, no properly cited source etc as facts. I could have knocked up the map purporting to show the effects of an air burst over New York in 20 minutes on my computer. Incidentally the type of device being promoted as having been built (Schumann/Trinks) would have a likely yield in the 0.1-1.0 Kiloton range, depending on an awful lot of factors, which clearly doesn't tally with the map supposedly prepared for Goering.

I could go on, but what would be the point :)

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

I must now facepalm myself over my own lack of observation.:oops: Just noticed the links, thank you.

I agree, gullible ones will take as gospel any scrap of unsubstantiated information if it conforms to their preconceived notion of events. Of course when you bludgeon them with facts they usually call it "doctored" or a cover up, or some such drivel.

Thanks again.

Perhaps that Ju390 is buried alongside those Spitfires in crates!

Find the Ju390 and you'll find the Spitfires! :lol:

maybe that is the plane they were looking for on the bottom of a lake in argentina in the TV series..Finding Hitler. it found all kinds of "could of happened" .... and not one shred that positively IDed him as being there.

maybe that is the plane they were looking for on the bottom of a lake in argentina in the TV series..Finding Hitler. it found all kinds of "could of happened" .... and not one shred that positively IDed him as being there.
In all honesty, it's entirely possible that the Ju390V2 could have been flown there, as alot of Nazi party members ended up in South America. They have never found conclusive proof as to what ever happened to it as the war came to a close. There were all sorts of stories of leaders and high officials fleeing Berlin (some at the last moment), even Hannah Reitsch in a Fi156 on 28 April, being the last Luftwaffe flight out of the city.

The fate of Ju390V1, on the otherhand, is known as it was destroyed in April 1945 as U.S. forces were approaching Dessau.

Regardless of whether V2 made it to South America or not, Hitler never left Berlin - there is just too much evidence to prove he died and not enough to prove he survived.

I believe it was entirely possible hitler could have fled. in his warped mind he felt like the german people had abandoned and given up the fight..so for him not to die for them is justified. there was the means and opportunity to make that escape...and I believe THAT is what gives what little credence there is to the myth. hilter, at this stage of his life was or was very close to being very high maintenance physically. his degenerative health due to Parkinson's and narcotic dependency would have made such a trip to south America extremely difficult if not down right impossible. none of the eyewitness accounts of him in spain and elsewhere mention his uncontrollable shaking and slow mobility but portray him like he was in the reels from the propaganda films. this disparity smacks of either mistaken identity or a deliberate lie. I believe he died in berlin.

I believe he died in berlin.

He did and everyone agreed, until the Soviets changed their minds and decided to suggest that he was alive and in the West. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they might have suggested this as the post war relationship between the Allies deteriorated. ALL the myths of Hitler's survival stem from this rather unconvincing Soviet propaganda.
Cheers
Steve

This is a great thread to read over. Stories about secret SS controled Norwegian airfields filled with new experimentalist He 277's and 177's ready to drop the "nazi" nuke, German controled airfields in South America, bombing trips to New York and all sorts of mystical stuff makes you feel like a 12 year old again...

This thread is loaded with nonsense and ridiculous claims about the Ju 390 being flown to South America. Anthony Kay's book Junkers Aircraft & Engines 1913-1945 states in the Ju 390 entry on page 203 that the second Junkers Ju 390 prototype was mothballed without being flown when all large Nazi combat plane programs (including the Ju 390) were axed in July 1944 due to the worsening war situation for Nazi Germany (Kay also happens to recognize that rumors of the first Ju 390 prototype conducting test flights within the sight of New York are unfounded and untrue). The title of this thread should be changed to Fate of Junkers Ju 390 because the first Ju 390 prototype was returned to Dessau in November 1944 and finally blown up by the Germans in April 1945 to avoid capture by Allied forces.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This thread is loaded with nonsense and ridiculous claims about the Ju 390 being flown to South America.
This thread is loaded with what's called "discussion" about the Ju390.

By the way, just because an author states something (and you see it on wiki) does not make it definitive. Green is the one who started the rumor of the North America flight back in a 1955 publication.

Acording to almost all sources, the He177 V38 was discovered by American forces in Praha (or Pilsen, I don´t remember well), but It was in Czchekia, not in Germany. If there was other more Heinkel 177 adapted to nuke London and New York, I don´t know, but, I hope it will be useful to you, mosquitoman.
The testing of exotic weapons at the one site in Czechoslovakia where the He 177 V38 was tested could be the reason why many older publications claimed that the He 177 V38 was intended to be a prototype "atomic bomber". However, many aviation historians now say that the He 177 V38 was to test the enlarged bomb bay intended for the production Ju 287 FSW bomber.

From "Junkers Company Profile - 1895-1965"

1578200228829.png

Anyone knows what happened to the 2 JU390's?

Do you know which type of german bombers can flow to Brazil?
During WW2 an Argentine airline: Syndicato Condor flew two FW200 aircraft to Buenos Aires on scheduled services. i have read that an abandoned Ju88 was found in the desert of Spanish Sahara. not suggesting that a Ju88 had the range, however a German U-Boat was caught refueling at Villa Cizneros where it would be plausible for any large transport to reach Brazil

On 21 November 1935 Jean Batten flew a Percivall Gull solo from Dakar to Natal:

81671715_1227987774059914_3202702304549535744_o.jpg

SM.55X MUSEUM Sao Paulo.png

IN 1927 the Italians flew a Savoia Marchetti SM.55 Flying boat to RIO DE Janiro , were it is still on display in a Brazilian museum at Sao Paulo:

savoiamarchetti_s55_s66.jpg

Until December 1941, the Italian Airline LATI operated a scheduled airline service to Brazil.

LATI ROUTES_zpszcubiwtz.png

The demise of LATI is sad: following the attack on Pearl Harbour US forces occupied Surname & French Guiana.Meanwhile, At Natal, Brazil British secret service perhaps forewarned of the Japanese attack waited for LATI flights to arrive from Ilha do Sal Cape Verde Is. impounding several Savoia-Marchetti SM.81 aircraft as they arrived. Meanwhile one LATI aircraft evaded them flying south to Buenos Aires crossing the Andes to Santiago where it was impounded before departing north for Panama:
LATI Airlines

Savoia-Marchetti_SM.81_tri-motor_In_USAAF_service_1942.jpg

Thus given longer range aircraft like the Ju290 an air bridge was feasible

Last edited:
No P-38. The main purpose of the Ju-390 was not to bomb New York or London. It was actually intended to be used as a heavy transport and maritime patrol aircraft. It was just later proposed to be used as a heavy bomber and possibly for the Amerika Bomber program because of its 32 hour endurance. The Ju-390 is just a development of the Ju-290 transport.

I am on duty right now till tomorrow morning but when I get home I can tell you what happened to the aircraft that were flown by KG 200. I have a book on them.

However they were not intended to drop nukes on anyone they were heavy transports. KG200 used them to fly personnel on secret missions. They were also intended to be used in the U-Boot war.

I agree,
The JU390 was rejected as any kind of bomber However the V3 prototype was static load tested for the bomber role, which is why it was rejected
It is incorrectly asserted there was inly one JU390 ever built:

V2 prototype GH+UK

ju390 gh+uk.jpg

V1 prototype RC + DA

ju-390_rc+da.jpg

Karl Kossler and Gunter Ott maintain the "sole" Ju390 built was not flown until September 1944, however the log book of Ju390 test pilot Hans Werner Lerche records his flight piloting the Ju-390 on 28 October 1943 on two flights, one of 17 minutes and another of 25 minutes.

It is usually cited that the Ju390's maiden flight was October 1943: by the aircraft constructed at Merkersberg after modifying Ju-90 V6, werke number Wnr 4918 first flown 20 October 1943 by Flugkapitan Hans Joachim Pancherz with Dipl Ing. Gast as co-pilot. with it's length increased from the 26.3m Ju90 fuselage, to a new length of 31.7m. Pancherz complained this V1 prototype was longitudinally unstable, so the V2 was lengthened by 2.5m again to 34.2m to improve the elevator arm. So it is not a question in dispute that the V2 aircraft was longer than the V1. If one rotates the two known images to compare fuselage lengths , it becomes obvious that GH+UK was the V2 prototype and RC+DA was the V1 aircraft.

ju390 compared.JPG

Establishing Ju390 Identities

Luftwaffe over America.jpg

According to Geoffrey Brooks who researched Junkers company archives as English translator for Manfred Greihl's book" Luftwaffe over America":

In March 1942 RLM contracted Junkers to convert three Ju90 aircraft into Ju390 prototypes, ie

Ju390V1 stkz, RC+DA (maritime patroller)

Ju390V2 stkz, GH+UK (transporter)

Ju390V3 bomber prototype was never completed, or flown but dismantled after wings failed static wing load testing* Soviet historical sources claim the unfinished Ju-390 airframe was in fact the V3 prototype. At a hearing before British investigators, on 26 September 1945, Professor Heinrich Hertel, chief designer and technical director for Junkers Aircraft and Motor Works,confirmed the bomber prototype was dismantled following static load testing**

*The Ju390 never had a fuselage bomb bay. Bomb loads would be externally slung, either beneath outboard engines or under the fuselage causing horrendous drag & increasing fuel consumption

My view is the Germans did not intend to use the Ju390 as a New York bomber as they understood how unsuitable it was. Patton maintained General Voss told him the He274 built in France was always the intended New York bomber. following the first Ju390 flight to NYC Americans were panicked into building a radar chain along the coast of Maine.

** ThE Ju390 was intended to launch a self sacrifice pilot in a parasite fighter, the Me328. Clearly Ju390 wings could not support the 5,896lb weight,of this parasite aircraft. The Ju390 bomber was intended to carry three Me328 to New York

Me328.jpg

328 parasite carrier.jpg

Definitely two Ju390 were seen flying:. It is known that the V1 aircraft had a shorter 26.3m Ju90 fuselage. The fuselage length of the V2 was increased to 34.2 metres. Comparing two J Ju390 fuselages side by side it is obvious which one was the V2?

In their 1993 book, Die Grosen Dessauer: Junkers Ju-89, 90, 290, 390 Karl Kossler and Gunter Ott suggest the" second" Ju-390 was not constructed and flown before September/October 1944, however they also claim RLM cancelled Ju-390 contracts in May 1944.

If the Ju-390 contract was canceled in May 1944, then the flying example they do acknowledge could not have been completed in September 1944, either, so Kossler and Ott must have gotten it wrong.

Brooks stated to me:
"In October 1943 at the suggestion of Major Hoffmann [GL/C/E2] was acted upon to commence a series production of the Ju 390 without having prototypes beforehand. The first aircraft of the series would be used for the usual tests. Milch then ordered the Ju 390 [ into ] series production without prototypes after Rechlin said they had no objections. This machine was demonstrated to Göring on 5 November 1943, and trials continued at Prague-Rusin..."

V2 was adopted as baseline design for further Ju390 aircraft To my knowledge: even though these following aircraft were de facto production aircraft, They were not officially designated Ju390A models rather refererred to as more prototypes

"...On 1 December 1943 the Luftwaffe QM-General listed the first series aircraft Ju390 V2 for October 1944. This machine would be available at the end of October, three more in November, five in December[1944] and so on into March 1946. Ju 390 V2 was expected to be ready by the end of September 1944 and flight tested in November. A report dated March 1944 indicates that Dessau was to turn out 26 Ju 390 [aircraft], another report from May 1944 that Junkers had no less than 111 [aircraft] on the order book..."

Brooks often maintained to me in his emails that Authors who published archival research on sensitive topics which the German Government did not wish disclosed, were denied further access to archives.as a form of censorship. He maintained to me, Manfred Greihl would not publish certain matters they had discovered in wartime archives due to this official sensitivity. Brooks did share with me via email that according to Junkers archives, in June 1944 Junkers was paid for seven completed Ju-390 aircraft "designated V-2 to V-7"

Brooks said, "... Junkers received contracts in June 1944 to build Ju 390 V-2 to V-7"

Brooks did expand to me saying that: in the absence of a viable NY bomber Erhard Milch hatched an alternative plan to stage an attack on New York via Mestersveg in Greenland. This location is also used today as an airstrip but in WW2 it had a German garrison. Milch alludes to this plan in his post war memoirs
Mestersveg is also used today as a modern airstrip.

Attachments

• Luftwaffe over America.jpg
    Luftwaffe over America.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
V1 was GH+UK, V2 was RC+DA

The facts prove otherwise. NO Pilot's log book identifies the V1 or V2 aircraft by their Stammkennzeichen codes. I am afraid you are just guessing. You can't refute my evidence with hard facts

This is the log book of Hans Werner Lerche recording his Ju390 flight 30 October 1943:

HANS Werner Lerche 30.10.43.jpg

From "Junkers Company Profile - 1895-1965"

Citing to me the wrong assumptions of others merely compounds their mistakes as your own RC+DA was not longer than GH+UK
you can see the proof in this image using the Ju390 wing root for scale:

ju390 compared.JPG

The Ju290 was originally a Lufthansa airliner, converted for WW2 use IIRC?

(Like the Dakota and Condor)

The Ju390 may have been intended for the nuke?

- If so, it would have been shrouded in secrecy, even from Germans.

It would have been a pathetic bomber IMHO as it was very easy to shoot up, though it did carry extremely heavy armament IIRC?

The Germans agreed with you which is why the Ju390V3 bomber prototype was scrapped in June 1944 It was too slow to survive in contested skies over New York The moment it climbed higher than 18,000 ft altitude, superchargers tripled fuel consumption . It suffered wing flutter if flown too fast or banked too hard.

SCR-270-set Fort Monmouth NJ.jpg

An SCR-270 RADAR AT Fort Monmouth, New Jersey however did spot unidentified aircraft approaching New York from over the sea At noon on August 28th 1943, AIR RAID Sirens went off in New York and lasted for 45 minutes nearly an hour! and this sighting by the 551st Signals Battalion of an unidentified target so deeply spooked the Americans It prompted deployment of the Shoran radar chain it New Hampshire in 1944.

SCR-271 fixed radar was located at Mount Agamenticus PART OF THE Shoran chain established in 1944 to cover Hudson Bay. Installations of SCR-268 radars were established. SCR-268 radar operating on 205 MHz to guide anti aircraft artillery were built at Ragged Neck Point, Rye Harbour also received a new radar station This site controlled a battery of Anti Aircraft guns and searchlights. The radar system there however only had a detection range of 22 statute miles, but it could detect aircraft flying close by

In 1945 Mustang fighter aircraft were tasked to patrol or respond to radar sightings

Whatever else a Ju390 flight achieved it probably blew the element of surprise.

SCR 271 at Mount Agamenticus.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back