WWW2 Luftwaffe/Air force Gas masks? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArtField

Recruit
Sep 20, 2013
Dear aviators, I m working on some project and I need to know about gas masks that U.S. WW2 air force used in their missions, if they used, especcialy by B-17 and B-24 pilots. I need that help for Wehrmacht luftwaffe too. As far as I know german pilots used variations of M38 gas masks, but I m not sure and I need confirmation. Some aviators from forum told me that gas masks were not usual equipment for aircrew.

I know about pilot mask with Oxygen, and it is standard part of fighter pilots head, but I m really curious about gas masks.

I wonder if pilots even had the gas masks along with other parts of their equipment. Is there any evidence of that? Are they supposed to have a gas mask in case of crash along with parachute. I guess if so, it was individual maybe?

Here is one german gas mask GM 38 which could be related with german pilots during their missions and Wehrmacht Luftwaffe. It is probably variatition of GM 38 gas mask.

nPolryA.jpg

I like this one very much, it is a great piece.

What do You think?

I would be glad if You could help me about this, Thanks in advance!

As stated in your other thread on this subject, there is no reason why any aircrew, in any air force, during WW2 would carry a gas mask as part of normal operational equipment.
However, members of all branches of all of the armed forces, and civilian populations, during WW2, were issued with a gas mask, for use on the ground, in the event of a gas attack. They were a standard part of military equipment issue, just as a boot cleaning kit was. But, like the boot cleaning kit, they would not be carried into the air. There was no reason for them to be, and they would have been of no use whatsoever.

Airframes thank You very much for the response ! I understand situation with gas masks and air force and it seems obviously the normal.

For my project it is not so much important if Airforce and Luftwaffe had pilots with gas masks, I was curious and I want to find any connection if it is posible. For me it is important to find interesting "object", "item"(like gas masks) and relationship with WW2 Airforce, Fighters, Luftwaffe which together shows some kind of military/political power of Allies and Axis. I found interesting connection between WW2 Air force, Luftwaffe in the air and the "Chaos" which produced at the time, and on the other side people/army on the ground with "objects" and "items" (gas masks) related to that produced "Chaos". Of course that I know of which purpose gas mask were produced, and I use them like equipment of any kind of chaos including airborne pollutants, dust, smoke and toxic gases.

However, thank You for the help. It is good to learn or confirm something from the experts and I am sure that I am on the right place.

I do not believe the U.S. Army Chemical Corps ever developed a gas mask designed to be worn by aircrews.
Aircrew wearing flying goggles and oxygen masks would already be protected but the main question is why would there be poisonous gas so high up in the air?

Hello,

it's a great find but this kind of mask has been in use of the kriegsmarine during ww2 nothing to do with the luftwaffe

take a better look on the inside there may be a ink marking of the kriegsmarine.

Sincerly

Crash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back