X-3 Stiletto, one of the sleekest experimental planes ever created (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My uncle gifted me the Revell X-3 model when I was seven. I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever! Then in Bill Bridgeman's book I read that it was a hangar queen. Not unlike the F7U with the terrible motors?

Let's not forget the related Douglas Model 1186-C Long Range Special Attack Aircraft's seen on the cover of Jared's book:

61DCbn8c+zL.jpg

Pity it was essentially a failure due to the engines.
I never understood why they didn't put in better engines (with twice the thrust) when they became available. It makes no sense to me. This was the first model I ever got. Loved it from Day 1. I also loved Spy vs. Spy. I see no detriment in the design because of the coincidental look... The wing was borrowed by Lockheed for the F-104 Starfighter...the Flying Tent Peg in Europe....
Douglas X-3 Stiletto.jpg

I never understood why they didn't put in better engines (with twice the thrust) when they became available. It makes no sense to me. This was the first model I ever got. Loved it from Day 1. I also loved Spy vs. Spy. I see no detriment in the design because of the coincidental look... The wing was borrowed by Lockheed for the F-104 Starfighter...the Flying Tent Peg in Europe....View attachment 716308
I built the model of the X-3 as well. It is a very cool looking plane. I felt it should have flown again with better engines. Not that it would provide any data but just to see the thing GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back