X-3 Stiletto, one of the sleekest experimental planes ever created

Dronescapes

Senior Airman
367
529
Joined
Feb 26, 2022
Location
Texas
Website
www.youtube.com
 
Pity it was essentially a failure due to the engines.
 
My uncle gifted me the Revell X-3 model when I was seven. I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever! Then in Bill Bridgeman's book I read that it was a hangar queen. Not unlike the F7U with the terrible motors?
 
Let's not forget the related Douglas Model 1186-C Long Range Special Attack Aircraft's seen on the cover of Jared's book:

61DCbn8c+zL.jpg
 
I never did like the looks of it ... it struck me as something you'd see in Mad Magazine's "Spy vs Spy" strip.
Ya' know, now that you mention it...
 
Pity it was essentially a failure due to the engines.
I never understood why they didn't put in better engines (with twice the thrust) when they became available. It makes no sense to me. This was the first model I ever got. Loved it from Day 1. I also loved Spy vs. Spy. I see no detriment in the design because of the coincidental look... The wing was borrowed by Lockheed for the F-104 Starfighter...the Flying Tent Peg in Europe....
Douglas X-3 Stiletto.jpg
 
I never understood why they didn't put in better engines (with twice the thrust) when they became available. It makes no sense to me. This was the first model I ever got. Loved it from Day 1. I also loved Spy vs. Spy. I see no detriment in the design because of the coincidental look... The wing was borrowed by Lockheed for the F-104 Starfighter...the Flying Tent Peg in Europe....View attachment 716308
I built the model of the X-3 as well. It is a very cool looking plane. I felt it should have flown again with better engines. Not that it would provide any data but just to see the thing GO.
 
The X-3 is incorrectly labelled as a failure; it played a large part in identifying and resolving the phenomenon of inertia coupling.
If I remember correctly there were metallurgy and materials data too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back