XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have flown both taildraggers and nosegear airplanes and I can say with great confidence that the P-39 was vastly superior on the ground to the 109. According to reports, the 109 was one of the worst airplanes ever built for handling on the ground.

And the attitude the P-39 was sitting at on the ground meant it could still shoot targets. Supposedly there was a P-38 pilot who actually used to land, drive around, and shoot up Japanese airbases on the ground in the Pacific, but I never heard of any P-39's doing that.

I used to do that in one of the very old flight simulators! (SubLogic Jet)
Taxi around at high speed, blast a few targets with tracking missiles....
Taxi through the hangar for a reload.
It got to be kind of boring.

- Ivan.

P39 Expert said:
Weight influences climb more than any other factor.

Negative! Run the numbers. A 10% change in Thrust Available will have a greater effect on RoC than 10% change in weight. They advocated weight reduction because thrust was already maxed out in practical terms.

Hi Stig1207. What book did Claringbould write? I ask becasue:

1) I have the Statistical Digest of World War II. The total victories are shown, but not by model of aircraft.
2) I have Naval Aviation Combat Statistics for WWII. The Navy didn't fly P-39s, so it is of no help.
3) I have many WWII aviation books, including Frank Olynyk's Stars and Bars. It is ovr 650 pages, but the data are there. It is just a bear trying to get through it. I may well make the effort, but finding such a treasure for other nations is impossible to date.
4) I have a file with more than 68,000 German claims, but the claim file doesn't tell you the aircraft being flown. It shows the pilot name, unit, victim, and location and date, but not the airplane being flown. I don't know how to find out what dates the various units were flying what aircraft.

So, I'm curious, but not curious enough to buy a book to settle a P-39 question. It was not a very good airplane during the war and is of interest, but not to the point of spending much money on it, specifically. I might change my mind if I OWNED a P-39, but I don't. It would be quite nice to fly one.

Last edited:
P39 Expert said:
Weight influences climb more than any other factor.

Negative! Run the numbers. A 10% change in Thrust Available will have a greater effect on RoC than 10% change in weight. They advocated weight reduction because thrust was already maxed out in practical terms.
This why it is a groundhog thread, weight influences climb when you cant change anything else, neither a Jumbo Jet nor a Saturn V rocket had any trouble getting to 40,000 ft faster than a P-39 and they were a little heavier as far as I remember.

Hi P-39 Expert. Post #1616! You hit the nail on the head! EXACTLY.

Except for the propeller, there was little aerodynamic difference, yet the climb rate is 37% higher for the P-39C and that is impossible if both planes were making 1,150 hp as stated in the reports. It just won't happen that way. EXACTLY my point.

Since the climb difference was noted, then either the P-39C was making more hp (extra MAP that, handily, is unreported) than indicated, or the P-39D was making less hp (my assumed rated power rather than military power) than indicated, or the pilot mis-timed it. Let's give the test driver the benefit of the doubt and say he timed it correctly. If so, then I am left with the first sentence of this paragraph, without the assumption that the pilot mis-timed it.

Last edited:
All those differences were internal. They had no aerodynamic effect whatsoever. The only difference in the two planes was weight.

The guns in the wing would have some effect.

The fuselage was longer, which would have had some effect, albeit small.

And then there was the different propeller - not sure how different they were, so hard to know what effect that would have.

Same engine, same power below 10000'. Above 10000' the P-39C horsepower was actually slightly less.

Why would that be? They are the same engine, right?

One would expect that the P-39C, being faster than the P-39D, would have greater ram effect and therefore a higher critical altitude. Assuming the same engine and rating.

We don't know what actual power the two planes had, the power numbers having been taken from two different charts. The charts also are unlikely to include ram effect.

Hi Stig1207. What book did Claringbould write? I ask becasue:

1) I have the Statistical Digest of World War II. The total victorie are shown, but not by model of aircraft.
2) I have Naval Aviation Combat Statistics for WWII. The Navy didn't fly P-39s, so it is of no help.
3) I have many WWII aviation books, including Frank Olynyk's Stars and Bars. It is ovr 650 pages, but the data are there. It is just a bear trying to get through it. I may well make the dffort, but finding such a treasure for other nations is impossible to date.
4) I have a file with more than 68,000 German claims, but the claim file doesn't tell you the aircraft being flown. It shows the pilot name, unit, victim, and location and date, but not the airplane being flown. I don't know how to find out what dates the various units were flying what aircraft.

So, I'm curious, but not curious enough to buya book to settle a P-39 question. It wsa not a very good airplanes during the war and is of interest, but ot to the point of spending much money on it, specifically. I might change my mind if I OWNED a P-39, but I don't. It would be quite nice to fly one.

I think Stig1207 meant this book. P-39/P-400 Airacobra versus A6M2/3 Zero-Sen. New Guinea 1942. Michael John Claringbould. Osprey Publishing, 2018. ISBN 978-1472823663.

Amazon link.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, some models of the P-39 had significantly better performance than did others.

P-39Jet.jpg

Perhaps it would have made a good "American Meteor."

Wonder if it would have faster or slower than the F.9/40?
1197385-large.jpg

The cockpit on the P-39 jet is farther back than on the F.9/40, so it should be more streamlined, right? After all, the Gee Bee was fast:
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcReSJ-tGXb3vqCd05efvsunJ4sPfeGMQ7IgJA&usqp=CAU.jpg

But, the P-39 jet doesn't have that innovative, Mach-capable cruciform tail. Maybe it wouldn't need a jack under the wing trailing edge to stop it from falling back on the tail, though. The aerogodamnics might be tricky, too.

Last edited:
Looking for that I came across a Soviet copy that was to have mated two together ala F-82. The Belyayex OI-2