XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Stig1207. Nice sites. Unfortunately, it seems that Tony Wood's site is no longer up.

I can find Jan Safarik's site, and Tony seems to be his main source.

It DOES take some Excel time to turn that data into useful tables! I have a lot, but getting it all cross referenced so it is useful takes a LOT of time and effort. And I'm missing some rather vital data I'll likely never find. If it hasn't surfaced by now, it may never surface.

Even the Maxwell AFB site had been down more than 10 years ... at least for victory credits. And ... if you can get them, they are missing some data.

Cheers.

The fellas in the cockpit are all looking towards the camera...it's almost as if they're saying "Can we come out now? We PROMISE to be good!!!"

Actually, as ugly as that aircraft is, I'm surprised the aircrew don't have paper bags over their faces to hide their embarrassment.

Try this for Tony Wood #17

It's pretty obvious that if Larry Bell thought that P-39's could be sold as washing machines or refrigerators that we would have versions addressing those missions as well.

Pity that poor radar operator. Barf city! And I wondered how the guy in the nose of the Droopsnoot or ECM versions of the P-38 felt.

Not a nad design, the exhaust stacks would be out of the way but I dont think that's a very comfortable position to be in on extended flights.

Well it didn't hold much gas (not going to be stuck in there for long), part of it's better performance. Just like the 109 & 190.

Cheers,
Biff

Now, if you really want an innovative design for a version of the P-39, look at this night fighter modification. Who needs that old cannon?
With the droopsnooter and electronics out front as ballast, you can play schrage musik from behind the engine. Just remember to jettison your radar operator as you approach the end of your symphony to stay in CG!

Last edited:
Pity that poor radar operator. Barf city! And I wondered how the guy in the nose of the Droopsnoot or ECM versions of the P-38 felt.
Especially since he'd have to pull the hood closed inside the glass nose when stalking a target to keep scope glow from alerting enemy gunners. Better have stomach acid resistant electronics! The "hell hole" for sure.

Maybe they could figure out a way so the two guys could change seats and wouldn't be so bored with mundane missions. At least dual controls (sidestick, anyone?).

I'm still trying to figure out how a radar, a seat, and a guy in front are as heavy as a 37 mm cannon and two 50-cal MG with ammunition. Maybe they only let fat guys be radar operators to keep the airplane within CG limits.

I've also seen the inside of the nose with the driveshaft in there. Ain't much room for your necessary parts with the shatf running right up the middle, and you'd better pray it never has a bearing failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread