your aircraft database

which was better? The B-17 or Avro Lancaster?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

177?,i know i have seen it but i forget,anybody got a pic??

Attachments

• ds-gcosair.jpg
    ds-gcosair.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,692
Hot Space said:
It was as it killed more Germans then the Allies did :lol:

Hot Space

i meant it's looks, and yes C.C. it did, there wasn't any relaiable "big" engines in germany at the time, so they literally bolted two 12 cylinder engines together in each naculle

I got a question about the aircraft db (wow...actually on topic :lol: ).
For the F4U-4 it says there were 2000 and some F4U-4 and F4U-4Cs produced. What's a -4C? I've only ever heard of F4U-4s and F4U-4Bs with 20mm cannons.

Archer said:
I got a question about the aircraft db (wow...actually on topic :lol: ).
For the F4U-4 it says there were 2000 and some F4U-4 and F4U-4Cs produced. What's a -4C? I've only ever heard of F4U-4s and F4U-4Bs with 20mm cannons.
All I know that F4U-4B was supposed to go for British Royal Navy and I did thought that F4U-4C was four 20mm to replace machine gun, but it should be changing before Korean War. The F4U-4N was only make one and they use them as a test I believe, but I have no clue for that F4U-4N history.

Viper said:
177?,i know i have seen it but i forget,anybody got a pic??
Is that picture go for VMF/VMA-312 "Checkerboarders" as F4U-4 model? VMF/VMA-312 was the first squadron to shot down a MIG-15 in Korean War and I believe one the pilots flow on F4U-4 with 20mm cannon i think.

Its -312, but from the cowl I thinks its a -5. It isn't really clear, but to me at least it looks like it has cheek air intakes as opposed to the -4 chin intakes.

Just checked a book (great idea to do every now and then ;) ) and it lists F4U-4s, 297 F4U-4Bs (20mm cannons) built, one F4U-4N that was a testbed for the -5N/-5NL radar/avionics, and 11 F4U-4P photorecon Corsairs.

Because the cheek air intakes are a very noticeable difference between the -1s/-2, -4, and -5. Off the top of my head (I read it not too long ago) -1s/-2s had the intakes in the wing roots, -4s had one of the two intakes in the wing and had a cheek intake, while the ones remaining in the wing were enlarged, -5s had cheek intakes instead of the chin intake, I'm not certain about the AU-1 (XF4U-6) but I am pretty sure the intakes in the wing roots were recessed into the fuselage (air goes in the wing roots still, but the actually colling takes place in the fuselage), and I'm not sure about the -7s intakes.

Vought F4U-7 Corsair or "For French Only"

A two stage compressor was added, hence the appearance of a ventral air-intake like on the F4U-4.

IIRC it was a -5 airframe with a -4 engine (due to a surplus after WWII - making it cheaper for the US since the French procured the -7s under the US Military Assistance Program) I wasn't sure if they had cheek or chin intakes. The F4U-7s actually were obtained by the USN briefly before being shipped to France (from the way it was phrased, it sounded like they did this to keep the transfer within the MAP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back