1:1 SCALE HURRICANE PROJECT

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes please, that would be great. Could do with canopy, seat and compass mount dimensions. Also need some details of the cockpit gauges as im struggling to find the info online. Just diameters etc... Any help would be great. Cant wait to get back off holiday and make a start

We have a complete instrument panel for a Hurricane at the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton. I should be able to get you some decent pics of that with dimensions next time I go down there. That would be probably around April 27.

Slight update:

Got the Arthur bentley plans and the Mick Reeves 4.5 scale kit so work will start this week. Also I am going to change the metal frame for a lighter wooden ones and if need be, reinforce it before the skin goes on.

WP_20140421_19_52_41_Pro1_zps12b04b14.jpg

Sounds good, but I think at least a couple of steel longerons would be advisable. As Wojtek asked, what type of wood will you be using?
Even ash or spruce could possibly deform under the overall weight, with time. Wood should be fine for the stringers, and, of course, the frames,with plywood being acceptable for the latter, sealed of course, but I do feel that some sort of steel 'core' should be included, just to make sure.

I agree with you Terry about the the overall weight and the possible bending.. even being made of ash or beech. I would suggest using of the lamellar type of main stringers. But steel or aluminium pipes would be better.

I was planning on using beech but thinking about it I can see what you both mean. I think I will still go with the metal internal frames and plywood for the bulkheads and stringers.

It'll prove best in the long run I think. The stringers could be pine,preferably spruce, or better still, beech. Although they won't be taking that much stress, damp, condensation and humidty/temperature fluctuations, over time, could cause some warping, and, with ply for stringers, possibly de-lamination.
Give the stringers a couple of coats of sanding sealer, followed by a coat or two of yacht varnish. The plywood former frames should be fine with just yacht varnish.
Have you decided yet on what to use for the 'fabric' covered areas?

The BoB replicas were very heavy due to using solid frames and grp skins. I would suggest you use 1.5inch box or round section steel to more of less follow the original box structure. If you want to make the cockpit 'good' you could weld round tube of the correct dimensions for the section JointA-B back to G-H. Use of correct made frames and then covering in ceconite would be good

I was going to suggest Ceconite as the fabric covering, but thought perhaps the actual fitting and stretching could be a tricky job for someone who hasn't done it. Maybe glass-fibre matting ?
OK, it wouldn't 'sound' right when tapped, but it certainly would be weatherproof !

I have been toying with the idea of getting someone to do the covering for me. I have found a company that do fabric covering for aircraft. Unsure of prices yet but least I know itll be right. As rocketeer said I am going to weld round tube around the cockpit area to follow the original. I cant wait to get started. I have a small upholstery job to finish and I need to get a lot of 1 inch graph paper which in itself is seeming tricky as its all metric these days

Well ive opened the box of my 1:4.5 scale mick reeves kit
WP_20140423_21_04_15_Pro1_zpsd7cde5ff.jpg

This is the fuselage 'metal tubing' glued, now I just need to scale this up and welding it together
WP_20140423_22_59_00_Pro1_zps3117bb10.jpg

yep gotta have 'lubrication' like that after doing a model this size, its got a 10 foot wing span. The stool is great eh, One of my boys ( the other has a monkey one )

Good stuff. BTW, I don't know if you are aware, but 'Gate Guards' not only supply complete replicas, they also supply individual parts, such as canopies, seats etc etc.
They may be useful for some parts 'off the shelf', especially the canopy, for example, and could work out less expensive overall, compared to making a 'one off' complex part.
Hopefully, I'll get to see you at Cockpit Fest, as I'll be going for the whole weekend - we can have a 'natter' and throw some ideas around.

that's great, I will contact them for some prices. Thanks. I have scaled up some of the parts and will be posting pictures up soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back