1:1 SCALE HURRICANE PROJECT (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yes I am, but I feel it could compromise the strength too much and I hope wont need to be rescued from it so I might leave it out lol. il see how I go, I may end up putting it in at a later date

10415570_10204369726311135_1308147849249226965_n_zps782526e0.jpg

My latest update. Built a trolley to move it lol. also some stringers down both sides

Looking good. But if I were you I would start the build with welding of the entire main fuselage structure firstly. And then I would attache these plywood bulkheads etc... Having the fuselage structure welded and settled down at wooden supports , the attaching of other details of the fuselage would be easier.

I am doing it this way as I am 1) limited for space and 2) limited for money and don't currently have the metal to carry on with the fuselage structure. This was I can get what I can done while im waiting for the funds to carry on.

SO ive had a bit of a break from it but the weather is nice so I thought I would do a bit.

Firstly ive made the rudder:

lee354_zpsaff086b2.jpg

That's my 4 year old standing next to it so it gives you an idea of scale, since then I have added most the ribs but still need to plain them down. Rudder is approx. 6.5 feet tall.

Yesterday I made the canopy again and the front screen:

lee433_zpsc876910e.jpg

I have noticed that the canopy is a little too long though so I need to reduce it slightly and even the ribs out again.

Just found the thread, a great venture and I will follow. You probably are already doing this, but if the rudder is going to be covered, a lot of strategically place holes will help lighten it.

Geo

Maybe build the rudder with a post and frame construction, like the real thing, and cover it with glass fibre mat ?
Apart from the length of the canopy, the windscreen frame looks to be a little deep, front to rear, too. Looking great overall though.

I am going to cut the ply into posts as stated rather than complete chunks of wood, I measured the screen frame and it seemed to be right, I will double check this tomorrow and alter if need be. Canopy is now cut down and rudder pedal added:

10403489_1440155249594256_8738358518218964539_n_zpsc16feb79.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back