1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anyone know how to get in touch with Downland Aviation? I tried to google them, but nothing came up. They apparently make a lot of the spitfire bits pieces that I'm looking for.
Held up on frame 8, have to work once in a while.

Nate
will email you old chap!

Hello everyone,

I finally got back to frame 8. After making some flanging dies, I'm much happier with how the flanging on the holes came out. On to the aft portion of frame 8 and the spacers in between.

More to come,

Nate

Attachments

• DSC01258.JPG
    DSC01258.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 251
Hey Nate,

GET YOUR OWN F***N THREAD :) :) :) :) :)

Looks great mate, glad the flanges are working nicely. Can't wait to see more!!

Darryl

I suppose I should, but, but that's like flying solo.
Is the start finish builds the spot, technical?

Nate

Some small progress, I still need to take pictures of the starboard upper cockpit wall taking shape.

TestfitinstrumentpanelandUC.gif

AND a sneak preview of the throttle...I hope Gwyn doesn't mind but it just looks SO good I couldn't keep it to myself....

SpitTQ002.gif

I agree with Wayne, nice work mate. It's starting to take shape nicely, won't be long before your checking for your own contrail over central Europe!
Darn, what have I done?! You'll be fitting another monitor to the rear now, so you can check the view in the mirror!

Hello Tony!!! I want to build spitfire cockpit to. Can you help me with any measures? I dont have a technical drawings and I want to do it myself. I need a wide of instrument panel and of cockpit door. Thank you wey much.

I agree with Wayne, nice work mate. It's starting to take shape nicely, won't be long before your checking for your own contrail over central Europe!
Darn, what have I done?! You'll be fitting another monitor to the rear now, so you can check the view in the mirror!

Damn....gonna get real expensive.....:lol:

Thanks guys, always great to post pictures here and hear what you have to say!!

Damn....gonna get real expensive.....:lol:

Get??? :rolleyes:

Terry,

Thought of that but the hot tip now is a small 5 inch screen as a RVM.

I was hoping to have photos of the upper cockpit structure but have found that although I worked off the real plans, they are wrong for the placement of the ribs above datum in the cockpit area!! Can't believe it but several dozen photos prove it. I am not pleased!! When the damage is repaired (and when I sober up and when I stop strangling small animals!) I will post pictures of the finished product. It's days like this I really wish I had listened to what my mother told me when i was a child.....

Darryl

Hello Tony!!! I want to build spitfire cockpit to. Can you help me with any measures? I dont have a technical drawings and I want to do it myself. I need a wide of instrument panel and of cockpit door. Thank you wey much.

IP is 19.54 inches high and 33.04 wide if I recall. I can email you the tech drawing if you like.

cheers

Darryl

Email noted. You might like to remove it from the post or you could get 50,000,000 spam emails when the web spiders pick it up!!!

cheers

Darryl

Terry,

I spent last afternoon on my favourite high spot with my trusty old 7.62.

Darryl : 7
people who p!$$ me off : NIL

Feeling much better now!!! :twisted:

I have to move one rib and rebuild the half finished cockpit coaming. The coaming will actually be easier with a longer travel. The rib was braced with a bracket which I thought I had glued on, including seating the screws with glue, but the glue didn't take so she will come off easy enough. Frustrating but not fatal.....

A big thanks to Chris, who sent me the GA for the door and THAT made me recheck the measurments!! Not too much harm done...

Darryl

Last edited:
Hi mate, I know you're not having a canopy on the finished item, but if you want one, to fit in the open position, I MIGHT be able to get one, and possibly a windscreen, with (mock) internal armoured glass. These are from one of the full-scale taxiing mock-ups built for the 1986 (?)TV series 'Piece of Cake', and I believe these parts were made by the same company who make the new ones for genuine aircraft.
The current owner aquired the 'MkIX' a few years ago, but the idiot cut the wings off to transport it, rather than unbolting the space-frame assembly, and the whole thing started to rot due to standing out in the open. I tried to convince him to restore it, offering to do a lot of the work myself, for free, when available, but he ended up dumping it on his land. The canopy was cracked, but he had a spare, and the windscreen, if not dfamaged since I last saw it, could probably be removed I think.
I can't promise anything, as I haven't seen it, or him, for a little over 18 months, but I can make enquiries if you're interested.
Terry.

Terry,

definately interested! Sounds marvellous.

The wife and I will have to get busy making a first born, so I can give him to you.

Darryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back