1/144 Trumpeter Shenyang F-8II(M)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you all for your comments :) as promised, an update :) for today:
The intakes before, left one is sanded a bit, right one is straight out of the kit.
5_zpswukgpgee.jpg

Attached on one side before more sanding :
6_zpsygeioljw.jpg

and other side, sanded flush and beautiful :
7_zpsdroszkrm.jpg

Both sides with the stretch sprue "fins" :
10_zpswn5qmrfc.jpg

The fins themselves have a double shark fin shape, for now this reference photo (I have another more extensive one I'll add later that shows better details):
j82_weapon2_zpsvki3t6fj.jpg

and the completed cockpit (minus the stick for painting protection pursposes :D :D )
8_zps7miguoec.jpg

9_zps2zivvhp9.jpg

Thanks all for looking :) and any comments :D

Hopefully before the decals go on I'll have another update :)

A sincere appology gentlemen that this piece wasn't completed but it will be now. After long hours at school and lots of hard work I needed something to relax and enjoy life again, so out popped the kits today and I thought, why not go back and complete this Shenyang.

It is amazing how many flaws start to appear on a kit that a modeler once thought "flawless", when you take a break and come back to the hobby.

I'll be updating the thread soon, am so glad to be back, I'll start a different strategy this time, little bit by bit work and see if that gets me closer to the finish.

I will also start to get back to posting on your threads. It feels good to be back and I hope to meet the new members as well as say hi to the old gang :)

Finally an update, it will be large :) before heading off to do the Japanese Airfield Dio. I thought a good idea to finish up this project :) and get some of that modelling "feel" back and it has always been on my mind and on the workbench. This is in the span of a week to two week period.

Good and bad news, good news 1. the kit is almost complete and progress has been going well, I had a bad batch of putty and all my seam lines that were perfect had shrunk (such a downer after having airbrushed everything nicely for a J-8H) so I had to redo them and sand most of the beautiful finish :(
2. Friends from China sent some excellent references and photos of the F-8IIM aircraft (1996 version)
and I was able to find a video of this beauty online in flight, so I ended up back dating the kit to F-8IIM status, which means cutting the third wing slats that were added and changing some panel lines, most of the panel line differences were on the tail but there are also some small differences on the rest of the aircraft. As the base model was a J-8IIB that had upgraded engines and radar (Russian Zhuk II radar). This doesn't change too much of the interior of the radar as I figured out I had been building the Zhuk all along from another video :) The F-8IIM I'll be building below:
JM-1.jpg

The Bad News 1. The kit slipped out of my hands and hit the floor just before airbrushing, bottom nose section snapped off and is in the midst of being repaired as I type. A good lesson not to do night building :(

Here are the progress shots for the putty, Silver sections are repaired with putty and I am testing out whether it looks good or needs more repair.
Day 1, I started to inch off the required wing slats one by one as they were fixed tight. Putty was applied to fix the left panel line, I noticed there wasn't a straight edge and had a curve in the middle.
DSC_0209.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

Day 2/3
This left line down the fuselage presented a problem and it ended up taking a good week of reapplying to fix
DSC_0219.JPG

Some other panel lines near the cockpit ended up being re-done and back dated to J-8IIB status as the F-8IIM was based off of that previous airframe.
DSC_0220.JPG

Tail interior lines fixed as well,
DSC_0222.JPG

Day 4-7 - I went over and marked off the fuselage section to fill in these "lines" across the rear section, there were no lines present in any of the J-8IIB photos that I have. The Tail received a major overhaul and panel lines were re-adjusted,
no pics of these parts as I wanted to complete this quickly.
DSC_0227.JPG

Along with some final tail fixing this was the last photo take before the accident :( more work was done to the rear after the silver paint revealed a slight seam still remained,
DSC_0229.JPG

Day 10 - Currently I re-made the front fuselage section as the old one broke in the accident, progress is going well so far and I hope to have another update soon (in the next couple days, not years! :D)
DSC_0241.JPG

Thanks all for checking this thread out and any comments, feel great to be posting and contributing again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back