1/24th P-51D (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
What's the best 1/24th P-51D? My dad just finished up helping to build/re-build (70% of airframe fabricated from scratch) a P-51D for the Pima Air Museum. It is in the paint shop this week. They are going to do it up as "Bad Angel" 44-63272. It has what I consider to be the most unusual kill marks of WWII. I have already ordered the CAM decals sheet. I thought I'd buy the Trumpeter kit but I have heard it is grossly inaccurate. Has anybody built this? How about the Airfix, Heller or any other?

Here's the story

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 95
Good stuff! The Airfix and Heller kits are both the same kit, as Airfix bought Heller, and of course a lot of interchange of kits occured. It's often possible to pick-up the Heller version for quite a bit less than the Airfix issue.
I can't really cooment on the Trumpeter kit, as I haven't seen their 'D' version, only the 'B', which certainly has some inaccuracies, as it seems most Trumpeter kits do, along with fit issues. As for the Airfix kit, overall it's pretty accurate, although it must be remembered that it dates from 1972, when the level of detail, then, was considered exceptional. By today's standards, it's somewhat simplified, and there are two, possibly three, areas I know of which need attention, but are very easily rectified by even the average modeller. The first is the instrument panel, which looks more like a P51B, but as most of this is hidden under the cowl and gun sight, it's no major deal. Second is the fit of the engine cowlings, which is less than perfect, as they were designed to be able to display the engine. Again, not a major issue and easily rectified with a little fiddling and sanding if required. The final point is the most serious, but once again easily corrected; the oleos are moulded at virtually full extension, so need shortening.
Other than that, it just needs some scratch-built detail in the wheel bays, which are bare, and perhaps some detailing here and there as desired. I've seen some stunning models produced from this kit, which is not bad at all considering its age.
Hope this helps.

Thats a great story makes me want to do a model of that P-51D Myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back