1:32 Animated Model of the Battleship New Jersey Steering Gear Systems (1 Viewer)

Ryan Sizmanski wondered why the rudder was so fabricated. i suggested that it was to reduce weight. While this seems to be a non-issue with somthing that already weighed 47,000t empty, it really is a concern. Every ton of extra weight means less armor and less magazine stores. It's already drawing 36' feet of water. And a lighter rudder would have faster helm response. It's hard enough to turn a 25' high slab of steel into a water flow generated by a 57t ship moving at 33 knots, you don't need that slab to be overweight.

As to the model, it also meant I could build them in two parts. First, so it would fit on my printer, but secondly, as a single component, there would be no way to assemble it with the single-piece rudder forging.

I got the new rudder hub glued together last night, and, with a little relieving here and there, got the rudder to smoothly turn 35º in each direction. The SINGLE weld flange is now correctly located. There was a pinhole in the model that was weeping some uncured resin. I sealed it with Bondic.

SG Gluing Rudder Hub T-2.jpg


SG Correct Rudder Swing to Port.jpg


There is a positive stop built into the hub that prevents going beyond that limit.

SG Correct Rudder Swing to Strbd.jpg


The latest version of ChiTuBox places supports everywhere they're needed, even in recesses and places that are not visible. Past versions would only place supports where they had a direct connection down to the build plate, and in many cases wouldn't let you place supports from one part of the model to another. That said, it results in hundreds of supports on a part this complex. Removable was slow, but steady. You have to be careful not to remove actual part when manhandling the supports. For the frames I used all medium supports with heavies only on the bottom most portion to the build plate to ensure that the base connection is strong.

This was when half of the supports were removed.

SG de-spruing the Lower Rudder Frame.jpg


I had to remove some stock where the frames entered the confines of the rudder forging. I was expecting this since I used "Interface Surfaces" to locate the interacting contact points and knew that it would be an interference fit. After several cycles of fit/sand/fit, I got the frames to nestle into position.

I then, working slowly and carefully on the 1" belt sander, removed the high spots on the stringers and faired the leading and trailing edges into the frame.

This pic is before any surface sanding.

SG Rudder Frame Rev View.jpg


And lastly, here's an oblique view showing the sanding.

SG Rudder Frame Sanded.jpg


This whole part of the job came out much easier than I envisioned. When I saw John's rendering and how complex it was I ran through several scenarios. One was to make the ribs separately and use strip stringers to tie them together a la model airplane construction. But it meant that the web frames had to be individual pieces needing gluing and fitting. They simply couldn't pass through each other as seen on SketchUp. But, once I drew them all together with the stringers, the printer didn't care.

Next up is skinning. I can use styrene or balsa. Styrene has a better surface, but isn't really good to glue with CA or even epoxy, and solvent cements don't work on resin. Balsa glues well with both, but requires tons of filling and finishing to give it a metal-like finish. I have enough styrene in the shop. I'll go this route, using epoxy and small screws to hold the plates in place until it cures and then fill the screw holes aftwards. Any thoughts?
 
After getting the framing drawings from John Miano, I got down to business drawing them in 3D. The first thing I noticed was their quality. Not good. I could barely make out any text, but just enough to make out a few dimensions that I could use for scaling. That brings up the second challenge. I would scale the drawing to a specific measure, for example: 4'-O". I would draw the part. Then I find that on the other end of the sheet with another 4' dimension, it measured 3'-9". I found out from John that the microfilm transcription sometimes warps the microfilm. I then had to individually scale each frame on the sheet to ensure that they're based on the same scale.

Lastly there was a 3rd challenge. The 1:32 scale frames came out to over 11" wide. No material what I did, that sized part will not fit on my machine. I then started working on Plan B; sending scaled 2D profiles to CorelDraw and drawing them for auto-scribing the shapes on the digital vinyl cutter. This would have taken a ton of time. Then when visiting the shop this morning, I realized I could break down each frame into parts to fit the printer. That is what I'm doing.

SG Frame Print Scheme .png


You will notice that the parts of the longitudinal members are included in the drawing and being printed with them. This serves two purposed: it automatically sets the frame spacing for assembly and ensures that all these pieces are shaped and positioned properly. In communications with John he explained that the longitudinal are installed in long sheets and it's the frames that are welded in pieces to them. I conceived it in reverse. Actually, to build the model prototypically would have been much more difficult.

I can get two frame parts of the four onto the printer and this image shows the job almost complete.

SG Frame Printing Start.jpg


Lastly, here's the progress so far. If you're paying attention, you will note that the frames are not lining up vertically with the section diagram of the ship. They are situated much lower. Turns out that this diagram, that I have been using for lots of New Jersey projects, is not correct. It's an illustration, not a blue print. I know that the frames are correct since they are drawn from builder's plans.

SG Framing WIP.png


The plans have the bulges on the sides of the skeg portion. The plans call this the "Twin Keel". Actually, those bulges on the ship are the massive prop fairing casting which I'm printing separately. So everywhere I drew them according to the plan, I'm removing while editing each frame for printing.

Screenshot 2026-09-23 at 12.56.30 PM.png


This project is starting to cost some $$$. I have to buy heavy 1/4 plexiglass to make the support, case and base materials, and sheet styrene for the skinning of all the parts.
 
A new week… new challenges. I've gotten 90% of the frames drawn and fit in the drawing. I'm not printing anything until I'm sure that the drawings are correct. This project is eating a lot of resin and don't want to waste any.

The hardest part is fitting the frames around the rudder bearing. The drawings are a bit ambiguous and I had to spend a lot of time understanding them.

The newest interation of SketchUp has an AI rendering engine. I gave it a test run today. Produces a nice render… not as sophisticated as my VRay sub-program, but does some things well. This is what's drawn so far. Most of the frames are broken into two or three parts, but the ones in the aft section and those wrapping around the rudder bearing don't need all that fussing as they fit as is.

The real frames are thin plate steel with a welded this plate flange arond the perimeter and encircling each manhole. While the printer could replicate these cross-sections, their longevity would be suspect. I've attempted to make scale structures, but breakage becomes a major attemtion grabber. Viewers will not mind, especially with the animation and the complexity of the mechinery.

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 11.31.38 AM.png


I drew the frames full and then intersected their faces with the rudder hub. Cut away all those that interfered, and closed all the open edges to make them solid again for printing. Time consuming and a bit finicky.

Here's the AI rendering.

SG Frame Planning.png


So dear readers, what do you think if I decided to leave the frames open as you see here? I could skin part or skin the entire thing and make some cutaway openings. Not skinning would save me some $$. Sheet styrene is expensive.

Later this week I may do some printing, but we're taking a short trip Back East to visit family next week.
 
A new week… new challenges. I've gotten 90% of the frames drawn and fit in the drawing. I'm not printing anything until I'm sure that the drawings are correct. This project is eating a lot of resin and don't want to waste any.

The hardest part is fitting the frames around the rudder bearing. The drawings are a bit ambiguous and I had to spend a lot of time understanding them.

The newest interation of SketchUp has an AI rendering engine. I gave it a test run today. Produces a nice render… not as sophisticated as my VRay sub-program, but does some things well. This is what's drawn so far. Most of the frames are broken into two or three parts, but the ones in the aft section and those wrapping around the rudder bearing don't need all that fussing as they fit as is.

The real frames are thin plate steel with a welded this plate flange arond the perimeter and encircling each manhole. While the printer could replicate these cross-sections, their longevity would be suspect. I've attempted to make scale structures, but breakage becomes a major attemtion grabber. Viewers will not mind, especially with the animation and the complexity of the mechinery.

View attachment 898275

I drew the frames full and then intersected their faces with the rudder hub. Cut away all those that interfered, and closed all the open edges to make them solid again for printing. Time consuming and a bit finicky.

Here's the AI rendering.

View attachment 898274

So dear readers, what do you think if I decided to leave the frames open as you see here? I could skin part or skin the entire thing and make some cutaway openings. Not skinning would save me some $$. Sheet styrene is expensive.

Later this week I may do some printing, but we're taking a short trip Back East to visit family next week.
WOW!
 
I originally thought about mirroring the model, but it didn't work. The rudder motion would be opposing each other which is wrong as both turn in the same direction. Same goes for the hydraulic systems (still to be drawn) as they are not mirror images of each other. They are exactly the same-handed. Partial skinning may still be in the works, especially down at the skeg area (called "twin hulls" on the prints). I'm not completely satisfied how the skeg framing looks so skinning it could be beneficial.

The consensus is to leave it skeletal. Now that creates more work, but that's okay.

This drawing with the red, dashed lines shows the longitudinal plating that runs the length of the ship's framing in this area. Notice that they are not parallel, but rather follow the ship's lines. In my original design, I extruded these from the frames themselves leaving me with panels that were parallel with each other AND incorrect. Since I was planning on skinning the hull, that disrepency would have gone unnoticed. Now with it all exposed I'm compelled to fix it.

sg Longitudinals.jpeg


Here's how.

I first removed all the extruded longitudinal pieces that existed at each frame. On the real ship, it was the longitudinals that were continuous plates of steel and the frames were segmented and welded to them. I can't do it that way. I'm segmenting the longitudinals onto solid frames. To establish their sizes and locations, I'm using a solid sheet and intersecting it will all the frames at each location and at each correct angle. First, I ensured that all the frames were where I wanted them to be. I had to adjust some of their scales plus or minus a few percentage points so they would give smooth transitions from one to the next.

SG Longitudinals Start~.png


The intersected plate looks like this.

Screenshot 2026-10-08 at 11.57.35 AM.png


The next step will be to extrude the plate to thicknss since it's now only 2D, and then separate the plates from the frame outlines, cut and paste each to the corresponding frame to which they connect. I only have to attach them to one side. By cutting and pasting IN PLACE, the plate will be sitting in perfect contact with the frame and at the correct angle. The when the frames are printed with their associated longitundinal component, they will be correct.

Stay tuned.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back