<> 1/48 Arado Ar196A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

7R+IK is definitely splintered. Picture is dated "Sometime between late 1943 and early in 1944."
Here are pics of H and G which I think have two tones
Photos of a/cs from the same unit are not necessarily a good proof. Often newer and older planes were with sequential unit codes (in German: Verbandskennzeichen), but they didn't come from the same production batch. There is another photo of 7R+BK with a 3-tone camo 72/73/65 and I believe this is not the same a/c as in the colour photo, but an older one (possibly A-2):
Ar%20196%20A-3%202tone_zpsukyoyndy.jpg

The 3-tone camouflage was applied to seaplanes manufactured before the end of 1941. This is the theory. I do believe that also some a/cs manufactured later in 1942 had the same camo, because the parts were manufactured earlier (Arado had several suppliers for different parts). IMHO the colour photo shows a 2-tone camouflaged a/c: 72 upper and 65 lower surfaces. It looks like a very new airplane and even if 72/73 faded fast in the Mediterranean and were hard to distinguish, the tail or the fuselage had to show some difference.
It is possible though that some Ar 196 had a 2-tone fuselage and 3-tone wings taken from a different (older) a/c.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the info. The possibility of the wings having the splinter and not the fuselage did no occur to me. It could also explain the apparently darker cowl in the colour pic.

I have the pic above in my files as well, downloaded off the net. It's labelled as an A-3 but who knows if that's correct.....

Andy, I've just remembered that I scanned an article and colour profiles from a magazine a couple of years or more ago, describing the Arado and it's colours etc.
I'll e-mail it to you, as I don't want to infringe copyright by posting it here.

I have the pic above in my files as well, downloaded off the net. It's labelled as an A-3 but who knows if that's correct.....
Yes, I know a site with the same photo and description "Crete 1942" - see here.
On the same site 7R+BK is given with 2 different camos (2 and 3 colours), but both with the white fuselage band - I guess the author(s) of the profiles mixed the 2 different a/cs. The one I posted has no spinner thus the assumption it's an earlier variant. From the site mentioned above is this photo too:
ar-196-22.jpg

The nearest a/c is 7R+BK (same as on the photo in colour). It's hard to distinguish any camo though.

Good one Terry, thanks.

I've made a humble start to this kit with assembly of some of the cockpit parts. This kit is actually a reboxed Italeri kit and it shows - not the usual expected crisp details of a Tamiya kit and lots of mould seams. Overall not bad though but certainly not worth the outrageous price being charged for it in many circles. Glad I bought it at a swap for much less!

Here are two views of some of the assembly.

17032601.jpg

17032602.jpg

This is the one piece instrument panel. Note that the gun sight is moulded in and that even the reflector glass isn't separate

17032603.jpg

The side walls are pretty sparse and have a half a dozen ejector pin marks each. Begs detailing but there's not much on the net showing what's where. I may just close up the pit on this one and accept it as is.

17032604.jpg

Got a large cutaway drawing if that will help Andy, although it's a double-page spread, so I'd have to send it in two halves !
Small section shown below - let me know if you want the full-sized, full version, and I'll e-mail it to you.

Arado.jpg

Thanks for your trouble and suggestions guys. I sometimes find it useful to download the Eduard pdf instructions for their detail sets and go off those and that's what I'll do here if I see value in adding stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back