1:48 B-26 "straight" Monogram conversion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greg Boeser

1st Sergeant
Jul 29, 2016
Minnesota
Inspired by the PTO group build topic, but too late to enter, I've decide to post here.
The Skinny: convert a Monogram B-26B "long wing" Marauder into a B-26 MA "straight using a resin and vacuform kit from Ace109, and decals from Red Gekko.
The Target: a detailed model of the early B-26, showcasing its unique features.
Most general references about the first production batch of 201 Martin B-26 Marauders state that the B-26 MA was only used for testing and training. In fact, over half of the production run went to war with the 22nd Bomb Group in the SW Pacific and the 28th Composite Group in Alaska. The 22nd flew the B-26's first offensive mission on April 6th, 1942, and operated them exclusively until January 1943, when three of its squadrons converted to B-25s. The 19th Bomb Squadron continued to fly overhauled B-26 MAs , now stripped of paint and nicknamed the "Silver Fleet" from July 1943 until January 1944, when the B-26 MAs were retired from combat. Two squadrons of the 28th Composite Group operated B-26 MAs in Alaska throughout 1942, until they were retired from combat in January 1943. The surviving aircraft were then returned to the States, where they joined the training establishment.
Red Gekko's decal sheet provides numerous schemes for 22nd BG B-26s both in OD and NMF. It also includes other schemes for the short winged Marauders.
Status: Kit ordered, conversion kit ordered, decal sheet ordered

Should be an interesting project.
Built the Monogram Marauder some years back, adding extra internal detail. It's a nice kit, but needs a lot of weight up front - forward end of the bomb bay, and in the engine nacelles.

Hmmm. Looking at the tailpiece, its a single vacuformed bubble. That's gonna be tricky.
Parts for conversion.
seller's image
1558571830812.png

Should be an interesting build.
That tail and the other white parts look like resin not vacuform. All the weight from that resin will push the center of balance even further back so pack in a lot of lead.

I'm going to cut out the camera hatch and place a ladder with a crewman leaning in (swiped from my kid's B-29 kit) to act as a stand.
The model needs a number of modifications to bring it to B-26 MA standards.
Remove horizontal stabilizer, and elevators, vertical stabilizer and rudder, replace with resin parts.
Remove tail turret, replace with vacuform tail cone.
Fill in waist windows with resin plugs. Fill in observation windows with sheet styrene and filler. Scribe camera hatch doors.
Cut out waist windows and two observation windows above each, insert clear styrene in observation windows, install aftermarket waist guns.
Cut new windows for radioman/navigator's compartment.
Replace cockpit canopy with vacuform canopy.
Replace nose cone with vacuform nose cone.
Remove outer wing panels, replace with resin parts.
Remove engine cowls, replace with resin cowls, engines, spinners.
If I get ambitious:
*Cut out camera hatch, scratch build hatch doors.
*Scratch build aft fuselage interior adding floor, ammo racks, seats, gun mounts and guns, etc.
*Open up both bomb bays, install Eduard bomb bay in forward bay, probably have to scratch build rear bay.
*Possibly scratch build navigator interior.
*Replace cockpit with Eduard cockpit.
*Scratch build bombardier's station.
If I get really ambitious:
**Open up tail gunner position, scratch build interior.
**Open up cockpit canopy.

I'm going to cut out the camera hatch and place a ladder with a crewman leaning in (swiped from my kid's B-29 kit) to act as a stand.
The model needs a number of modifications to bring it to B-26 MA standards.
Remove horizontal stabilizer, and elevators, vertical stabilizer and rudder, replace with resin parts.
Remove tail turret, replace with vacuform tail cone.
Fill in waist windows with resin plugs. Fill in observation windows with sheet styrene and filler. Scribe camera hatch doors.
Cut out waist windows and two observation windows above each, insert clear styrene in observation windows, install aftermarket waist guns.
Cut new windows for radioman/navigator's compartment.
Replace cockpit canopy with vacuform canopy.
Replace nose cone with vacuform nose cone.
Remove outer wing panels, replace with resin parts.
Remove engine cowls, replace with resin cowls, engines, spinners.
If I get ambitious:
*Cut out camera hatch, scratch build hatch doors.
*Scratch build aft fuselage interior adding floor, ammo racks, seats, gun mounts and guns, etc.
*Open up both bomb bays, install Eduard bomb bay in forward bay, probably have to scratch build rear bay.
*Possibly scratch build navigator interior.
*Replace cockpit with Eduard cockpit.
*Scratch build bombardier's station.
If I get really ambitious:
**Open up tail gunner position, scratch build interior.
**Open up cockpit canopy.
.....and you just know that a month or two after you complete this, a model manufacturer is going to release this very kit

Probably part way through, since I'm notorious for starting projects.
My kitchen was started 5 years ago. My wife is still waiting for the trim to be finished.

There is something different about the MLG on the short wing models. I've looked at Kermit Weeks's example and someone told me that. And the engine cowlings are tighter.
B-26MidwayGrinnelSM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back