1:48 B-26 "straight" Monogram conversion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good luck, I think it is a great project. The angle of incidence of the long wing models compared to the straight B-26 is increased which might make the main gear different?
(My Marauder conversion is to swap on a bunch of DC-6 parts to make one of the 4 AiResearch executive transports. I'm just going 72nd.)
Chris...

I believe the Monogram kit is a mid range B or C, roughly block -25 to -45. I checked the wing incidence and it appears right for the earlier models. Just eyeballing it.
The nose wheel strut was lengthened starting with the B-4 block, so I will have to see about cutting it down.

My uncle was a Tech Sargent/Flight Engineer with the "Silver Fleet". I have the squadron "yearbook" if any photos I might share to help. Let me kmow!
Mike
Any interior shots would be great. Anything that shows the mounting for the machine guns, especially the rear gun. I want to do a proper tail gun position with the canopy open. I need to see how that worked. I know they canopy slid down on either side, but I don't know how. Photos I've seen show a track along the rear bulkhead, but I don't know about the mechanism at the tail tip. I've got the Wolf book (Martin B-26 Marauder the Ultimate Look) and several other books Revenge of the Red Raiders; B-26 Goes to War; Bombs Away, the history of the 70th Bombardment Squadron (M) to give me some clues but more is better.
Thanks.

Damn! the Red Gekko decals are out of print.
But I found a suitable substitute on E-bay. I hope. And metal landing gear. This is a must I've realized, after watching my son break the landing gear off all his planes.

All the parts I've ordered so far have arrived.
Unfortunately I'm not happy with the vacuformed tail piece. It's just a featureless bubble.
The decal sheet is also less than helpful. It was advertised as containing markings for B-26 #40-1391 19th Bomb Squadron, 22nd BG, "Major Monsoon" but the markings are not correct. (The stenciling lists it as a B-26B, the serial number is the wrong size, even the national insignia are wrong. Nice nose art though.) I'm going to have to see what I can do about all this.

I moved December 2019. It's been tucked in a closet since.
One big disappointment for me was the vacuform tail section which lacked any detail. If I ever get back to this, I will probably turn it into an early B. Maybe 41-17562, Miss Cookie Lee, 70th Bombardment Squadron, Guadalcanal, February 1943. Captain John Sharp engaged an H6K4 "Mavis" on 2 Feb, 1942, making two passes before suffering a hit from a 20mm round which damaged the wing spar. Sharp made it back to base. The Mavis did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back