1/48 C-47 Skytrain? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
I'm having some trouble finding a 1/48 scale C-47 Skytrain kit. All I found is a Revell C-47 during the Berlin Airlift but it has a cargo door and I'm trying to find the paratrooper version of this plane.

Another kit I found is an Italeri Skytrain but it's in 1/72 scale.

Does anyone know a 1/48 kit of a paratrooper C-47 Skytrain?

-Arlo

There's a new1/48th scale kit, I think by Trumpeter, but apparently it has a few inaccuracies - and it's expensive - too much for such a kit, in my opinion.
I believe that both the Revel l (ex Monogram) 'Berlin Airlift' C47 and their C47 Gunship kit both have the parts for the paratrooper seats, and the paratrooper figures are still included on the original sprues. All of the 3 issued versions of this kit are the same basic mouldings - the paratrooping door is still there. The C47 has (had) a double door on the port side; the rear, larger sedction being the cargo door, whilst the smaller front section was the normal passenger door. Inset into the latter was a detachable panel which was removed for para-dropping, leaving the door frame locked to the fuselage. The aim was to be able to fly with the door closed, then remove the panel, pulling it inboard, as the aircraft approached the DZ. However, in practice, the para-dropping C47's invariably flew with the panel removed anyway.
Hope this helps.

There's a new1/48th scale kit, I think by Trumpeter, but apparently it has a few inaccuracies - and it's expensive - too much for such a kit, in my opinion.

Agreed

I hate trumpter with a passion - kits prices + bad fit + inaccuracies = bad

Good luck with your Pong , please post photos if you manage to track one down and build it

There's a new1/48th scale kit, I think by Trumpeter, but apparently it has a few inaccuracies - and it's expensive - too much for such a kit, in my opinion. I believe that both the Revel l (ex Monogram) 'Berlin Airlift' C47 and their C47 Gunship kit both have the parts for the paratrooper seats, and the paratrooper figures are still included on the original sprues. All of the 3 issued versions of this kit are the same basic mouldings - the paratrooping door is still there. The C47 has (had) a double door on the port side; the rear, larger sedction being the cargo door, whilst the smaller front section was the normal passenger door. Inset into the latter was a detachable panel which was removed for para-dropping, leaving the door frame locked to the fuselage. The aim was to be able to fly with the door closed, then remove the panel, pulling it inboard, as the aircraft approached the DZ. However, in practice, the para-dropping C47's invariably flew with the panel removed anyway.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Terry.

please post photos if you manage to track one down and build it

Will do 109.

I'll ask my local hobby shop whether they still sell this Revell kit and some US decals.

-Arlo

Last edited:
Already checked out the Revell site and found the C-47 Gunship. Again will ask the hobby store if they this in stock.

Thanks kgambit for links!

No luck with my local Hobby Store, they only have the Italeri C-47 and the Trumpeter kit. :(

I think I'll go with the Italeri kit, guys, thanks for all the info!

-Arlo

Can your local store not order one of the Revell kits for you? They are both current kits, so should be available through the distributors for the Phillipines.
BTW, the Italeri kit is quite good, although the panel lines are a little deep.

Can your local store not order one of the Revell kits for you?

I'll ask Terry.

Also thanks for the link Vb. I'll also hunt for this model on the internet.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for this model, been wanting to build a Skytrain for a long time now.

-Arlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back