1/48 Eduard Bf 109 E-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JohnWV

Airman
Jul 9, 2017
Southeast U.S.A.
I have purchased this kit and it is on the way. It is the weekend edition. I really wanted an E-3 and
was thinking all the E-3 parts are in the E-4 kit also. I know they have the same sprue numbers except
for the clear parts. The E-3 has only one wind screen and canopy and the E-4 has 2 different ones. Is one
of the 2 in the E-4 kit useable for the E-3? Thanks---John

Looking at the sprue shots on the Eduard site, it looks as though both canopies included with the E-4 kit are the later straight sided ones. You'll want the one with the rounded canopy for the E-3 so you may be SOL.

Later E-3 had the same cockpit canopy. So it is a matter of finding the proper kite.

All Bf 109s of the E serie were called Emil. No matter what kind of canopy was used. Just the early cockpit hood was of more rounded edges including the windshield while the late one used for the E-4 and late Emils was square at edges. Here a couple of shots.

The early style canopy ..

bf109e_b.jpg
bf109e_c.jpg

the late one..

bf109e_a.jpg
bf109e_a1.jpg
bf109e_a1a.jpg

There was also a modified version for A.Galland who had attached an additional telecopic gunsight with the standard Revi one. Therefore the Eduard kit comes with the two late style canopy .One of them has a small hole in the windshield just for the gunsight.

bf109e_a2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, that explains it much better than words. I wonder if Eduard
has "over trees" for their cockpits. It's a shame because years ago I had a Hasegawa
1/48 E and never built it but the kit got lost in my 1400 mile exodus from "Winterwonderland"
when I retired BTW is that Galland in the fourth picture? Sure looks like him.I know he's in the
sixth picture with "Mickey" LOL.---John

Yes that's him in the fourth image and also in the last one.

As far as the "over trees" for the cockpits.... all of the Eduard models of the Bf 109E base on the Eduard No. 8261 kit for the Bf 109E-1 wich is a profi pack with photoetched parts and a couple of marking options. Depending on a version of the Bf 109 there are included the sprues with correct details. So there is a sprue either with the early cokpit canopy for the E-1 and E-3 or the late one for E-4 and E-7 replics only. There are also two next series of models called the Dual Combo and Dual Combo Royal Class where you may find two kits in one. And there can be both style conopies included. But I haven't seen the class kits for the Bf 109E.
The kits of the Weekend Edition series are the basic kits without the PE parts and with decal markings for one or two particular planes. See pics below.

E-1a.jpg
E-1.jpg

E-3a.jpg
E-3.jpg

E-1_3cockpit.jpg

E-4a.jpg
E-4.jpg

E-7a.jpg
E-7.jpg

E-4_7cockpit.jpg

Just found an interesting scheme, decals made by Techmod. Never used that brand,
how do they work and are the colors pretty accurate? Thanks---John

The kit just arrived in the mail. Two square canopies. Oh well looks like
I need to find an interesting -4 scheme.---John
View attachment 513883

As I've mentioned that above.

Just found an interesting scheme, decals made by Techmod. Never used that brand,
how do they work and are the colors pretty accurate? Thanks---John

Generally the Techmod decals are fine. However they may get cracking when soaked , depending on the time the decal sheet was issued. Therefore I would suggest covering of the decal sheet with a coat of clear varnish.

I e-mailed Eduards and asked about purchasing the clear sprue for the Bf 109 E-3 kit.
They said I could do that but would be charged $4.95 for shipping. I e-mailed back
saying that was OK by me. I am now waiting to hear back from them as to how much
the sprue itself is and what method of payment to use. I prefer Pay Pal myself.---John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back