<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's looking real good George
Thanks Mike. I said I would quit buying after 20, 50, 80 and 100 kits. I think 122 is the magic number
Keep telling yourself that, I do and am up to several hundred (edit: I just checked and its 278) and about to order a MiG-21

Just catching up with this thread again, great progress! By the way my stash count is now just 26 unbuilt and 3 completed so I have a ways to go to catch up to you guys. Thanks for the recommend George I added all my kits to Scalemates and have been having a look at all the neat aftermarket and reference material that brings up! My wife/girlfriend said something about getting a passport and heading up to see you. Something about budget wrecker was the last I heard her say.

I thought that only applied to liberal celebrities? Ah well, probably won't slow her down any.

Funny how none have actually carried out their promises. Welcome back Robert and thanks gents. Got off nightshift yesterday morning, stayed awake until 9:00PM last night and Dawg woke me up at 12:30AM today. I usually don't model first day back but I did start with the decals under the wings. I've never used HB decals and these looked sketchy to say the least. (I'll try and get a good photo later to show what I mean but it's hard to get a good photo without glare) The first problem was someone from HB had laid a 1" wide piece of clear tape on the edge of the decal sheet that covered half a roundel. This had massive adhesive qualities and it was all I could do to cut it with a hobby knife and try to start peeling it off. Having already written the decal off, I peeled back the tape and to my surprise the decal stayed intact. Both decals went on nicely and settled down with Mr. Mark Setting Solution. I used the softening solution on one and noticed some white discoloration so I won't use this any more. The whites are a bit translucent but won't be too noticeable on a single coloured model

Here's a pic of part of the decal sheet. It almost looks like moisture formed on them while drying...

002.JPG

....as I mentioned above, they don't look bad once on the model. Having said that, I attached the tail markings that also covered the rudder trim tab actuator(?) This created quite a tent. This time I used Polly S Softening Solution. This snuggled the tent right up but maybe too well...

003.JPG

....I'll let this settle in a decide later what needs to be done

I am a bit confused as to the sheer variety of the various setting/softening solutions available. I have the Microsol/Microset combo and have good luck using them. Is there a particular thing to look for to choose a different solution? If I recall correctly from reading here and elsewhere some of them can be quite aggressive and potentially damage a decal. If this is not a straightforward answer rather than hijack your build thread let me know and I will start another thread.

Robert, I have about 4 different brands and I seem to use whatever is in the way at the time. You are right about some being more aggressive than others, I think Walters Solvaset is the strongest. For my toughest decals such as that on the tail above, Polly S is my go to solution. I just checked on it and now there is only minor tenting above the actuator and the wrinkles are all but gone. I have 2 spare roundels so I might cut the red out of one to cover the rip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back