1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon MK1b tear drop canopy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nsmekanik

Senior Airman
Apr 26, 2005
Nanton
I'd like to do this one as a Canuck Bombphoon with what comes in the kit, if possible. Aviaeology's decals are now out of print Ultracast has a set, along with a number of other other sets for far to much money. I'm wondering if anyone has something that might fit the bill in their decal collection, I am most likely going to grab a few items from Ultracast so am open to other options or if nothing else I'll just use the kit decals.

It will be a bit before I get going on this one

Maybe I can do something for you Tim. I have two Typhoon kits and two Aviaeology decal sets. One is the Shark Mouth set. Did you have a scheme in mind? I will probably want to do Pulverizer IV but if there are other schemes then I can probably donate one that I'm not going to use.

Thanks Andy, that would be great. I can get the Aviaeology Docs for a reasonable price and work from there, I will let you know what I have in mind when I figure things out and see if it works ok with you.

Thanks to Andy I'm going to do MN345 5V G of 439 Squadron flown by F/O James A(Alfred) Brown. The only information I could find of Mr.Brown came from TEUGE'S MEMORY, a Dutch site.

F / O James A. Brown

Service number: J28760

In service: 23/05/1944 - ???? Royal Canadian Air Force

Born: Berwyn, Alberta (Canada)

Device: Typhoon IB

Unit: 439 Sqn RCAF, no. 143 Wing RCAF, B78 Eindhoven, December 1944

Date: 11/6/44

SGLO ref: T4654

F / O Brown made a total of 77 operational flights with a flight duration of 80:25, which brought him to a total number of flying hours of 703: 05.

Typhoon MN345
• The aircraft was delivered at the end of April 1944 to 438 Sqn as MN345 with code F3-D. Damage incurred by FLAK during D-Day was repaired by No. personnel. 419 RSU.
• At the end of August, the device received the code "G" at 439 Sqn and was adopted by F / O JA Brown, who named the device after his home town of Peace River in Canada.
• The black and white striped spinner was the favorite way to distract the FLAK operators, which unfortunately did not work in this case.

What is known about the crash on November 6, 1944?
• During an attack on trains in the Deventer area, the aircraft was hit at (too) low altitudes (during acceleration) by the air pressure of one of the bombs. The device may also have been hit by FLAK.
• Even though coolant (Glycol) was leaking, it was flown southwards towards enemy territory. F / O Brown jumped out of his plane and landed at the intersection at the Witte Brug on the Rijksstraatweg. Here he was immediately arrested (another source reports that this happened at the end of Basseltlaan).
• After being arrested, he was transferred to Stalag Luft 3, with number 8662. Brown survived the war and died as a pilot instructor at the Canadian Air Force (during the 1950s) together with his student. During a training flight one of the wings broke, after which the aircraft landed in a edderkop.

This is a translated version of the web page, I left the last word, "edderkop", which translates to "spider" untranslated so if anyone has any idea what may actually be meant please let me know, and any more information about Mr. Brown along with pictures of his plane would also be greatly appreciated. Next up is to order a few bits and bobs.

Looking forward to it. I looked in my copy of "Typhoon and Tempest" by Halliday and there is no more on the crash than what you quoted above.

Some good news on the home front, a while ago I ordered the CMK wheel bay from an Ebay seller and when I finally found a faulty part

Debating what to do I figured by the time I finished with the rigmarole of getting a replacement with no guarantee of not getting another flawed piece, I could probably just fix it, but I decides to send off a request to CMK for a replacement, going through the Special Hobby website, just in case. I figure you can't lose if you don't try. Well the other day a box arrived in the mail with the replacement

So Kudos to Special Hobby/CMK for Excellent customer service

Some more niggley items have arrived, some how I forgot the bombs and ended up with 2 sets of exhausts.

So now all I need are the bombs and the stencils of which Aviaology seems loath to reproduce as of yet, I am quite open to trading a set of beautifully cast for a set of Stencils just in case anyone is looking.......

Spin as in spinning out of controle.

Users who are viewing this thread