1/48 palm fronds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gbr-22

Airman 1st Class
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys!
I'm trying to make palm fronds for my 1/48 Pacific diorama..As I've run out of ideas I would appreciate it if you could help me find a way to make some look somewhat like this..

Palm_Frond_by_NGriffes.gif

Cheers,
Panagiotis.

Verlinden did some at one stage I believe, but not sure of scale (probably 1:35).

Vic (Vic balshaw) made a whole stack of them by hand for one of his Group build entries, a Catalina on Pacific diorama base. Can't remember which GB, but you should be able to find it alright if you check the Group Build section.

I believe Eduard make some metal-etch palm fronds, but, being metal-etch, I'd guess they'll look like metal etch palm fronds!
Thin paper, like the tissue used to cover decals, can be shaped and then 'split' to simulate the fronds, but it's a long process, and the difficult part is fitting the fronds to the trunk so that they loo right.

I picked these up at a Train hobby supply house for under 20 bucks. Heres how they look after painting
floatbipe005.gif

hope that helps,cheers Trey

if I'm not mistaken royal model has photoetched of palm leaves.
another way to do it is with aluminum foil or tin,

There's a place in china that I got my 1/72 scale palm trees from. I got 100 for 20 dollars! They will take special requests. I don't remember their name but you can find them on EBay under the train sections. They carry a wide selection of landscaping stuff for the various scales for trains, the scale for train that is 1/48 is 'O'. That is exact too

Here are a couple pics of the palm trees. The pop-cycle is for comparison

003.jpg

A close up of the 'leaves'

002.jpg

The tree is basic but it does give you a start. Needs to be adjusted, added to, painted but will fit the bill. Hey, for a nickle apiece not bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back