1/48 Revell P-51 B/C Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Hello all, glad to say I have something to post for once!

Tried antenna wire for the first time and it adds a nice touch (Is it too thick? Please be open about it so I can adjust for future 1/48 builds). Solid build and no major difficulties. Please post any criticisms as i'm in a major improvement stage and want to make the next one better. :D

Gotta love the teeth!

Attachments

• DSC00859.JPG
    DSC00859.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00861.JPG
    DSC00861.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC00862.JPG
    DSC00862.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00863.JPG
    DSC00863.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 165
Is it too thick? Yes. If that was a pic of the real plane from the scale distance you would barely see the wire.

Suggest you sneak into your local fabric store and get yourself a spool of nylon "Invisible Mending Thread" ad use that. Here's what it looks like:

120518 Mid Wire.jpg

Last edited:
I have long hair and I use some of the grey ones as antenna wire. Works great!
Getting a little thin on top, but that is the price we pay.....
Great job on the model!

Great job, so interesting machine-a "chineese" P-51 flown by Tex Hill- colleague of Polish pilot Witold Urbanowicz, earlier flying together on P-40's in "flying tigers". I've made this mustang in 1:72 scale some years ago:

qjjf.jpg

A good way to make antennas is a thread taken from.....stockings. Really.

A good way to make antennas is a thread taken from.....stockings. Really.

Tried that...once. I found it to be a pain in the butt trying to get one thread pulled loose. But yes, the scale is good and the elasticity is a help.

One trick I have not yet tried, told to me by Mike Grant who chimes in on this forum now and then, is to use stretched sprue - not your run of the mill styrene plastic but rather the vinyl ones that model tank tracks some on in armour kits. Stretches very thin and stays elastic so when you glue it on to the model with a little tension, it will not sag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back