1/48 SBD Dauntless....VS-2, Coral Sea

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

History Man

Airman
Jul 1, 2014
West Coast
This is probably one of the better aircraft that I have done this summer, didn't have much time to finish it as my display was coming up by got finished the day before so everything worked out. This is supposed to depict the SBD Dauntless flown by William B. Ault and William T. Butler during Coral Sea when Ault was Lexington Air Group Commander of VS-2.

Just to add, this kit (and most others) was built OOB with the only exception being the decals. The model kit used was Accurate Miniatures. The stripes on the tail section were hand painted as no decals were available to use, I like they way it came out though.
If you would like any additional photos, let me know and I will get some up for you.

A shout-out to Geo for the help with decals and advice.

Let me know what you think.

Philip

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123738 AM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123744 AM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123748 AM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123655 AM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123650 AM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 8202014 123746 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad at all. I like the colour choice and the weathering. The red/white stripes on the tail, I assume, should have been of uniform width and this could have been done by painting the white first, then applying strips of tape cut from a single strip at the correct intervals then painting the red. If I'm wrong on the uniformity of the stripes then I apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back